Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless or Powerline

• Please log in to reply

fredcamp

fredcamp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I moved my Mac to the farthest corner of the house away from the Belkin wireless G.
Reception is horrible or non-existent.
I see 2 solutions. A. Buy a Belking N router and the new technology may solve the problem in itself, and if not set up the old G as an access point, and Bob's your uncle. $50 lighter.
B. Get a powerline adapter kit and plug into hardwire. MAYBE $90 lighter.
Which is best?
Or...........

F

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

Powerline kits work best on the same line, so as long as it's all connected the powerline adapter kit would be the better solution.

While an "N" router may give you better performance, at the end of the day it is still wireless and may not be enough.

At the end of the day, the best solution (in my opinion) is to run a CAT5e or CAT6 Ethernet cable from one point to the next, perhaps through the roof. Then hook them up with unmanaged switches for easy connectivity.

Cheers

fredcamp

fredcamp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, Troy,
The strangest thing happened! I bought a netgear powerline and got absolutely no connectivity.
I took it back and traded for a d-link (and bought a router just in case) and it works perfectly. I'm getting 5-8 Megs through on a connection that I pay for up to 7.5 download.
Works for me.
F

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Great result. Strange about the Netgear. One of my business clients through work orders quite a few of the Netgear kits from me for their line of work and haven't had a problem with them.

Cheers