Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

e-system 4213 laptop case

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an e-system 4213 laptop with a wobbly power input socket. I suspect that a spot of solder would fix it.

I have removed the battery, disc, and every visible screw from the bottom of the case - but it will not come apart.

I tried levering the bottom off with a small screwdriver, but nothing moved. A bigger screwdriver might work, but it also might break the case!

Any suggestions on how to get into it?

While in there, I could also clean the fan which appears to be full of fluff.

Thanks

Ken

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I wish I could help. I could not find a service manual for it - though that is not a surprise. Every time I think I might have lucked out, I end up back here, with no help. :D You may have to take it to a shop where someone who likes to wrestle notebook cases has done this before. I suspect, assuming you found all the hidden screws, you just need to find where the case snaps together. What I often do is insert Popsicle sticks in the cracks and work my way around the case until I find the hidden keys/latches - and of course, strategic placement of tongue is essential. Good luck.

Note too, that it in my experience, it is not a wire that comes loose where a touch of solder will fix it. Typically, it is the plastic mount the connector sits in, or the connector itself has broken. If the mount, some epoxy glue may work. Sometimes, it is the tines of the contacts that have lost tension. These can be bent back with care, but like most springs, once tension is lost, it can never be fully restored unless the metal is re-tempered.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. I've also been round the fixya link a few times without learning anything.

I think I'll try the popsicle (lollipop in UK) stick and some brute force. If the case breaks I can probably glue it back together. It's not worth taking to a shop as it only cost £30.

Ken

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't remember Popsicle being the same as lollipop - but then it's been 25 years since I lived in the UK. Note here, a Popsicle is a brand name for frozen treats (ice cream or juice) on a stick where a lollipop is candy on a stick, also called a sucker.

Perhaps I should have said wooden glue application sticks, as found in hobby, woodworking, or crafts stores. In any event, lets hope 15 springs and other pieces don't come flying out once you do pop it open! :D