Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0 byte files

• Please log in to reply

AngieBatgirl

AngieBatgirl

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have a large number of 0 byte files in my download folder that I can't get rid of. Every time I try to delete one, I get this error:

'Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Angie\Downloads. Verify the item's location and try again'

They appear when I download a file. For example, I'll download abd.rar and I'll have the actual abd.rar file and a abd 0 byte file. If I try to delete the abd 0 byte file, it sends the abd.rar file to the Recycle Bin but the 0 byte file stays.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have a malware topic started today also. I suggest you follow that topic as it may resolve this issue also. :D
Your malware topic is HERE.

If after you have completed with the malware techs and your system is declared healthy....and if theis issue still is not resolved then return here and we will help you further from the tech side. :D

AngieBatgirl

AngieBatgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Okay, my system is clean and I still have these 0 byte files that I can't get rid of

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first lets do some checks on stuff and see what we can find.
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

Hadronn

Hadronn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
What are the possible causes for this? I'm suspecting software issue. Like somewhere in between the download and what happens after the download; it should remove the file but it somehow didn't or did it half way? :s

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What happens if you deleted the actual rar file?
Also where would these files come from?

Hadronn

Hadronn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
If I recall correctly I experienced this problem before. The file sits there but I was unable to delete even after cleaning out my whole system of any malware or virus. But... I forgotten how I solved it. Lol. Would be good too know the out come of this if you find a solution to resolve this!

AngieBatgirl

AngieBatgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry, I didn't get the first notification email that you replied. I did the chkdsk twice before.

I used a redirect site that let me download links from hotfile and filesonic as if I had a premium account. My fiance used the same website but this didn't happen to him.

When I delete the actual rar file, the 0 byte file appears to be deleted and then it's in the folder again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK try this.
Copy the file to a different location or folder. Then delete the original folder with the 0 byte file. Does that get rid of it?

AngieBatgirl

AngieBatgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Nope. Some of the original files are already in another folder. The corresponding 0 byte files are stuck in my Downloads folder. I also tried moving the 0 byte files to a folder and I just get the same error: "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Angie\Downloads. Verify the item's location and try again'

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK try the following.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

AngieBatgirl

AngieBatgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ran TFC and the defrag and the files are still there :/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is strange. :)
Are you in normal mode and have you tried in safe mode?
The error message suggest you don't have ownership of the folder but every folder you try it with is like that.
What are these files you are getting?

AngieBatgirl

AngieBatgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
In normal mode.

Yeah and what's weird is I can't save anything to certain folders, I know for sure that Program Files is one of them. I get an error message that says I don't have permission to save to that folder. I don't have any other user account on this computer and my account is an administrator account.

Ebooks and tv shows-rar, avi, zip, exe. If I download the file normally without using the redirect site, I don't get the 0 byte file. I stopped using the site once I figured out what was happening.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I don't have any other user account on this computer and my account is an administrator account.

Misconception as your account has Admin rights.
The only true administrator account is in Safe Mode.

If I download the file normally without using the redirect site, I don't get the 0 byte file. I stopped using the site once I figured out what was happening.

This is what I was thinking after rereading your original post.
It seems to be like a cookie file and nothing more.
Since they are 0 bytes they are not taking up any room.
Per this:

I also tried moving the 0 byte files to a folder and I just get the same error: "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Angie\Downloads. Verify the item's location and try again'

Is there anything else in that Download folder at this time except the 0 byte file(s)?
If not then try deleting the whole folder