Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble With New Build

• Please log in to reply

raserdemon

raserdemon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just finished putting together a new computer for myself, powered it on, everythings fine. Then when I went to install XP, 20 minutes in I get a blue screen, stop 0x0000008e. I ran a memtest and the first pass was good, cpu crashed on the second, again about 20 minutes in. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3800 in an ASUS A8V-VM with 2GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 3870 512MB video card, 500w psu and an 80gb hd and dvd-r. Thought it might be overheating but cpu operating range is 55-69C and it runs around 60. I've also been getting this error: Image. Sometimes when it boots up I get a CMOS checksum bad too. I have no idea what's wrong. Any ideas?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Hi raserdemon :D

Sometimes when it boots up I get a CMOS checksum bad too.

First thing that I suggest you do is replace the CMOS battery on the MB.
If this does not solve both issues I would boot into Safe Mode, uninstall the USB drivers then re-boot and see how it goes, post back with an update when done.

NB:

I ran a memtest and the first pass was good, cpu crashed on the second

Good decision to run memtest but to clarify, by CPU do you mean the actual computer crashed?
I am not being pedantic but using the incorrect component names can be confusing to some and a worse case scenario may be a person acting on or being offered unsuitable guidance.
CPU = Central Processing Unit as in AMD or Intel.
PC = Personal Computer various possibilities including Desktop, Small Form Factor (SFF) laptop etc.

raserdemon

raserdemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I will try changing the cmos, ill order one this weekend and see what that does. I don't have an operating system installed though. These errors occurred during installation, before i could install anything. I am using a usb keyboard, maybe i should find an ps/2 one and try that? the message the memtest gave me was 'cpu1 failure' so specifically the cpu failed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts

I will try changing the cmos, ill order one this weekend and see what that does

You could try simply removing the present CMOS battery for a few moments and then replacing it, if the battery is not dead it should restore the MB back to the default factory settings this includes if there are any bad CPU settings.

I am using a usb keyboard, maybe i should find an ps/2 one and try that

You will need a PS/2 type keyboard, if the USB ports are not enabled or have no drivers installed they will not work so neither will the keyboard, on a side note the keyboard is one of the components that is tested during the POST procedure, if there is an issue with the keyboard the computer will not complete POST and will often result in a keyboard error message being displayed on the screen.

the message the memtest gave me was 'cpu1 failure' so specifically the cpu failed.

Thanks for clearing up the above :D Is the AMD Athlon 64 3800 CPU the 3800+ dual core variation of processor?
The CPU failure message may be caused by a bad MB setting due to a dead CMOS battery, this includes CPU voltages and timings.

raserdemon

raserdemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I had a cmos battery in another board I had and swapped it in, haven't gotten that error anymore. The cpu is the dual core version, the 3800+. When it said 'cpu1' does that mean the whole chip failed or just one core? I'm guessing that having only one core fail is pretty serious and might need replacing. Voltage settings and the such are at defaults, but I'll look up the recommended settings and verify that they're the same. I was looking around and i don't have a ps/2 keyboard, but would a ps/2 to usb adapter work so I can use my existing keyboard? Or do i need to go buy a keyboard. No big deal its just $1 for the adapter vs $10 for a new keyboard. Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,043 posts
Good to hear you appear to have resolved one issue at least so well done for that.
Where the 'cpu1 failure' message is concerned it doesn`t actually say core 1 failure
so the message is a bit confusing, there is only one processor that has two cores, a
far better explanation than I can give @ http://en.wikipedia....-core_processor
You can receive such a message if the MB thermal sensor shuts the system down to protect
the CPU from overheating which in turn can be caused by a failed CPU fan or an incorrect
amount or complete lack of TIM such as Arctic Silver 5 etc, have you checked out both?

would a ps/2 to usb adapter work so I can use my existing keyboard

Only the reverse will work, a USB to PS/2 adapter as shown below;

raserdemon

raserdemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No ideas on the fan (I know there is one, but I don't know anything about its performance besides that it does work), but i know for a fact there is thermal compound on there. Put it on myself according to the directions.

Also, I found a ps2 keyboard in my garage and I'm just starting setup now we'll see how it goes.

Edited by raserdemon, 04 May 2011 - 05:00 PM.

raserdemon

raserdemon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just tried installing and got this blue screen during formatting: Image. This is with nothing connected to the MB but 2 sticks of ram, cpu, dvd-r, hdd, and the ps/2 keyboard. I have no idea what this driver error is. Could it possibly be some of the front panel ports? I'll try disconnecting those and see what happens.

OK, front panel did nothing. BUT, I went and check out my temperature, and just booting up it was at about 48C. Waited 5 mins, about 56C. After 10 minutes, it was up to 61C! (Normal temps I've read about are in the 50s under load.) And that was just in the BIOS Hardware Monitor, with the fan at peak rpm (3200). This weekend I'll be redoing the thermal compound and if that still doesn't cool it down, buying a new cpu fan. I saw elsewhere that someone had the same problem I did and fixed it with a new fan, so I think this is the problem here.

Edited by raserdemon, 05 May 2011 - 07:51 PM.