Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st Computer Build $1000 budget, need part suggestions

• Please log in to reply

Gordy the New Guy

Gordy the New Guy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiya expert computer builders!
Im planning on building a new computer, and this is my first time building one. I have done some research, but hardware is not a thing you can master in a few hours of internet research. I need help getting together a good parts list for a computer that can do all of the things I need it to. I need it to run games, such as Starcraft 2, possibly Crysis 2, Total War: Shogun, and high level pvp in Guild wars and Wow. I also want it to run aminecraft sercer, browse the internet with good speed, edit HD video and animate using Maya, Model using Autodesk Inventor and 3DS max, and do day to day tasks such as word processing and the like. I dont plan on being a huge multitasker, but the more of the above mentioned tasks I can complete at once, the better. I have an approximate budget of $1000, give or take a bit. I live near a tiger direct and a microcenter, so shipping costs and part availiability are not big concerns. I do plan on overclocking this pc, as I know a very skilled computer technician who will do this for me. I would go to him for help getting this build together, but why go to him when i have hundreds of skilled profesionals here for free? XD

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Gordy, :D

Are you actually performing the tasks you quoted? "edit HD video and animate using Maya, Model using Autodesk Inventor and 3DS max" and if so, what graphics card are you using?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
TomsHardware.com > System Builder Marathon, March 2011: $1000 Enthusiast PC
http://www.tomshardw...clock,2893.html

Gordy the New Guy

Gordy the New Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the responses. Until now I have been running most of these applications on other computers. My school has a nice comp that runs animation programs, and my games have been running on a crappy office computer at the minimum settings on low fps for the last few years. As far as the modeling programs go, I have tried to get those running on my crappy computer i use now, but they just wont work. that is why i finally made the decision to build my own computer. any suggestions for parts or builds would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gordy

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Depending on what the primary purpose of the build is for will determine the type of video card you use.

If for modelling, CAD, Solidworks etc and work MUST be very accurate, it would be a workstation. Almost the same build as a gaming rig except more RAM and the video card. You can still play games, but not very well.

If for gaming, a little less RAM and a consumer video card. You can still do your modelling but very complicated or very large files may have errors or take a ling time to complete.

Read this post and get back to me.

> http://www.geekstogo...91#entry2000891

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
TomsHardware.com > System Builder Marathon, March 2011: $1000 Enthusiast PC
http://www.tomshardw...clock,2893.html

Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 LGA 1155, Intel P67 chipset $152.99
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo), Quad-Core, 6 MB L3 Cache $219.99
CPU: Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $29.99
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 240-Pin DDR3-1333 Dual-Channel Desktop Memory Kit $54.99
Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5 $274.99
Hard Drives: Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB 1 TB, 7200 RPM, 32 MB Cache SATA 3Gb/s $64.99
Optical: Asus DRW-24B1ST 24x DVD Burner $18.99
Case: In-Win Android $69.99
Power: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 W ATX12V, EPS12V, 80 PLUS-Certified $89.99
Total Cost: $976.91

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

If you have not already bought your Mobo, I suggest you check out the new Z68 models. Only a few at the retailers at the moment.
Link to the offerings from Asrock, > http://www.asrock.co...odel=Z68 Pro3-M

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Gordy.

Been a while.
How about an update?

Gordy the New Guy

Gordy the New Guy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiya,
Ive been doing some more work, and deciding that I want both the best of both worlds, I got enough ram to get me through modeling, and a fantastic graphics card that will get me through gaming. My budget has risen to about $1500, so this is what I am currently looking at. Advice is appreciated, as always.

$364.99 MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99 HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$114.99 RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

$224.99 CPU: Intel i5-2500k

$459.99 GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

$119.99 PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

$119.99 TOWER: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Total: $1464.93 +OS and peripherals

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Have you purchased any of the items on your list?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I advise changing the selected Mobo to a socket 1155, Z68. The SB 2600K will still fit and will also give you access to every feature on the CPU.

> http://www.bit-tech....l-z68-chipset/1

Edited by iammykyl, 27 May 2011 - 12:58 AM.