Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Administrator acct. to Guest acct.

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi fellow members!

I need to change my daughters acct. from Administrator to a guest acct. on our XP that only she uses.

I have googled how to change Admin. acct. to guest acct. but all I can find is how to change the guest acct. to Admin. acct.!

Can this be done? I really don't want to lose all her music, pictures, etc.

I really don't want to venture off into the unknown without first looking into all the possibilities on what can be done to change these accts. around.

Thank you!

Donna

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi DonnaB, I fear you are out of luck, see the text below from Microsoft;
You must have a computer administrator account on the computer to change another user's account type.
If you are the only user on the computer with a computer administrator account you will not be able
to change your account type because there must be at least one person with a computer administrator account
on the computer.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Thanks phillpower2,

:D Hm....what if I created another Administrator's acct. and changed the old Admin acct. to Guest (limited user) acct.?

Can't I go to Documents and Settings and copy the folder to the desktop somehow then create a Guest acct. and then put the D & S folder in that acct. after creating a new Admin. acct then delete the old Admin acct.? (or something like that)

Can that be done?

I've changed Guest accts. before but not the other way around and I don't want to try this without knowing for sure what the results would be before I tried it. I know that you have the option to save everything when changing Guest accts. but this is a bit different.

Thinking outside the box here... anything is possible, right? :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Backing the data up to disk, flash drive or an external USB HDD first would be a wise move.

Thinking outside the box here... anything is possible, right?

The idea sounds a practical one although I must admit Ive not heard of this being done before.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...just create a new admin account for you and password protect it...then create another limited user account for her...
you can get even better Web Content Filtering by using OpenDNS...here after you have it setup it works on any computer in the house that connects thru your router...
you can add exceptions for sites you approve or disable sites as you want to...

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
We do have OpenDNS yet when we configure it the way we need it for her we end up getting blocked from sites we like to access.

Our real issue is that she downloads everything, youtube videos especially, and we get punished for violating the Fair Usage Policy, and in turn they cut our bandwidth which reduces it to dialup speed or none at all!

We'll create the new Admin acct. and password protect it then create a new limited acct. for her.

I'll post again once it is complete so other parents who have this same issue can benefit from this as well.

Thank you guys very kindly. I really appreciate your help.

Donna :D

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
in the dashboard settings did you notice the never block...just put the address you want unblocked there...you can do as many as you want...
there is also the always block section...put youtube there

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yes Sir. I did notice that option.

Another problem we had was that our Satellite service changes our IP address from time to time without forewarning and we had to install the OpenDNS updater. So far that has helped.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
other options are
1.to tell the browsers where to download everything to and password lock the folder..

2. tell your daughter if she doesn't follow your rules about the internet usage you will bar her from the computer...

3. look at some third party software like Net Nanny or Cyber Patrol to monitor his surfing and downloading habits

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

1.to tell the browsers where to download everything to and password lock the folder..

Now that I never thought of! But that wouldn't limit her downloading stuff.

2. tell your daughter if she doesn't follow your rules about the internet usage you will bar her from the computer...

ROFL! Too late! I took the Tower and she will not get it back till I find a way to correct the situation once and for all!

3. look at some third party software like Net Nanny or Cyber Patrol to monitor his surfing and downloading habits

Thought of that and I'm reading up on that possibility now. I'm even thinking of connecting a Dialup Network card to her computer and making her use NetZero that I had signed up for to plug my laptop into so that when our Service was interrupted due to her irresponsibility I would be able to connect for my training here at GeekU. But of course she will then have to pay the bill from her allowance. :D :D

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I'm even thinking of connecting a Dialup Network card to her computer and making her use NetZero that I had signed up for

perfect... :D make her do that for a month...inform her the second time will be 4 months of dialup...third time is a year...
THAT should put the fear in her as a couple MB download will take hours if it completes at all

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
A MONTH! :D I was thinking more like till she graduates and moves out! ;)

There's more to this story that I don't feel at liberty to disclose in the open forum that concerns a FB acct. that has her name on it and the password is shared amongst friends! Honestly, I have a very ugly situation here and I don't know how to clean up this mess. :D

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just be sure anonymizer or an anonymous proxy is is checked in opendns...and add FB to the always block...
if she has a smart phone she can use that to get to FB but not your home network...
you could also drop her smart phone and get one of the prepaid ones that do not have internet app on it...just a phone

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Nope...no phone. That was taken away some time ago, too!

And I will most definitely make sure that Facebook is added to the block list in OpenDNS. The only way I think she got past it last time was because of the static IP but OpenDNS updater seemed to have addressed that issue.

just be sure anonymizer or an anonymous proxy is is checked in opendns.

I never even thought about that. Her abilities to get past my host file left me baffled. I have no idea what happened there.

Thanks happyrock.:) I really appreciate your advice and guidance here.

:unsure:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :yes:

a FB acct. that has her name on it and the password is shared amongst friends! Honestly, I have a very ugly situation here and I don't know how to clean up this mess.

if you get get the password to the account maybe after logged in change it and then tighten up who can see it to nobody delete anything you want gone...unfriend everybody then contact facebook let them know your daughter is a minor and you really don't want her having a account in her name ...she could post on somebody else's account but not one with her name attached
it also wouldn't hurt to rattle your saber at them ( threaten them with a lawsuit)...the bad publicity might just get them to at least close her account
good luck with your daughter... :unsure: :)