Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Administrator acct. to Guest acct.

• Please log in to reply

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

ROFL! Too late! I took the Tower and she will not get it back till I find a way to correct the situation once and for all!

A MONTH! :yes: I was thinking more like till she graduates and moves out! :unsure:

Nope...no phone. That was taken away some time ago, too!

You are so cruel... My mom won't ever do that to me, since I am the only one who knows how to administer a computer in my family :)

Hope this could be of help. (sorry for self advertisement, haha)

It should be possible to get past the HOSTS file if she uses the IP addresses themselves to access Facebook, so remember to block them too.

After all, education is better than heavy measures. Tell her about the danger on Facebook, and how to protect herself. Consider being her Facebook friend and monitor her activities.

Also, try out a parental control software. If she doesn't have an Admin account, it should be impossible to break out of it.

Don't allow her to come to G2G either... we might end up helping her break out of your control :)

Edited by devper94, 28 April 2011 - 02:02 AM.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok..update! Created new Admin. acct. and changed hers to limited acct. Yes! Much easier than I had thought! The new Admin. acct. is password protected. :) HA! Lets see her get past that!

@happyrock,

I found that she had 4 accts. on FB. All but one had been created with fictitious names. I had contacted FB when I found out but I have yet to get a reply back. :) The conditions set for her to receive the computer back was to fess up and provide the passwords for ALL the accts. which I changed then deactivated myself! Little did she know that there is a way to track History in more than one way! :unsure: That's how I found out about the other accts. hehe :)

I can't thank you enough for your help. :)

@devper94,

Nice tutorial! ;)

And I am not cruel by the way. The world has changed drastically from the time when I was her age and she really needed to be taught a lesson. Her actions and those she shared the accts. with were causing harm to not only herself but to the others involved as well. Cyber bullying is becoming the #1 reason younger teens and preteens are committing suicide. I'm quite sure that was not what Mark Zuckerberg had intended for his site when he created Facebook.

See this link here--> http://today.msnbc.m...y-today_people/

Don't allow her to come to G2G either... we might end up helping her break out of your control :)

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk! remember GTG's TOU's for helping to bypass Parental Controls. ;) I love this site! :yes:

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Beware, it is possible to break a Windows password no matter how strong it is.

I don't think banning her from Facebook is a good idea. Everyone uses it nowadays, so you can't just separate her from her friends. She would, sooner or later, try to get around it. It will be nasty when it happens without you knowing. Every kid wants to rebel, after all. Especially teenagers.

Have you considered being her FB friend?

Guess I am not like other teenagers... I am quite paranoid when it comes to online activities.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Beware, it is possible to break a Windows password no matter how strong it is.

I don't think banning her from Facebook is a good idea. Everyone uses it nowadays, so you can't just separate her from her friends. She would, sooner or later, try to get around it. It will be nasty when it happens without you knowing. Every kid wants to rebel, after all. Especially teenagers.

Have you considered being her FB friend?

Guess I am not like other teenagers... I am quite paranoid when it comes to online activities.

Yes, I know it is possible to break passwords, and I'll do my best to make sure she doesn't even if I have to use a foreign language every time I change the password. And yes, we are friends on FB and denying her access to FB is what I'm trying to prevent because I know this is her future for communicating.

I want her to trust in me that whatever she does or says and it shouldn't be something she has to hide from me or anyone for that matter. And I need for her to know that her actions can cause opposite reactions for others with consequences. She fears nothing! A little paranoia can be a good thing. It gives you insight to the unknown. But a lot of paranoia can hinder your growth and life's experiences.

Admin was pointed out to me in another post: Parents are the best Parental Controls available. That one statement said it all! I agree totally!

posted by happrock:
your welcome... :)

extremely--> :unsure:

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
As a father of two young children, I just got scared of the future... Posted Image
The oldest one just begun with "E-learning at school" which I though was great....

I'm reconsidering now...

Being a parent is just like being in GeekU, you learn something new every day!... :)