Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead Monitor

• Please log in to reply

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Does anyone have any information on what happens to a monitor that simply "dies"? I have a 3 year old Acer 17" LCD that suddenly stopped working. No power indicator light,no nothing.Tried hooking up a different monitor to my pc and it worked perfectly.So I'm just curious as to what actually happens to a monitor that all of a sudden dies? What is inside these things that quits working? I would assume it's not worth having it looked at so I'll replace it soon.

Thanks

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There are many things which can cause it to fail, but it sounds like a power supply problem in this case. Does the monitor have a separate power supply or is it an AC cord to the monitor? Depending on how the power supply is made, it can be one of many things. Capacitors can go, as well as ICs (if it is switching power supply). Something as simple as the power switch can also fail.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lots of problems, PSU is usually the first thing to go. Three years isn't bad especially if its a cheaper monitor the days of the indestructable CRT are long gone.

Check the cables are all housed properly and look for physical damage. Don't forget to check the fuse probably not the issue but you never know its possible.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Monitor has an AC cord. Prices have come down quite a bit,which is a good thing.