Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infected with XP Internet Security 2011

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ok, no splash screen, but I get the MSConfig utility pop up when I start. I have attached a screen shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• desktop.JPG

Advertisements

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Yep. That's normal.

• Now please re-run msconfig as you have done in previous step.
  • Click to check the Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services check box.
  • Now click on Startup tab.
  • Under Startup Item find and Microsoft Works Update Detection.
  • Click to clear the Microsoft Works Update Detection check box and then click OK button.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.
Check for Windows installer splash window at Windows startup.

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ok,
Windows installer splash window came up but it came up much later then it did before, like 3 min later. I also got an
mm_tray.exe The procedure entry point this big long string of text, could not be located in the dynamic link libary CoreDll.dll.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

Microsoft Picture IT! is a discontinued photo editing aplication. Do you actually use that program? If not I recommend you to uninstall that program. If you use it I also recommend to uninstall it and recommend you to install and use GIMP.

NEXT...

I recommend you to uninstall Musicmatch® Jukebox as has been discontinued. Instead use one of the alternative music players:

How to unistall program in Windows XP:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
  • In the Currently installed programs box, click the program that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
  • If you are prompted to confirm the removal of the program, click Yes.

After these steps restart your computer and give me an update on how your computer's running.

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I don't use either of those programs, I believe I tried to delete Musicmatch last year and I couldn't that is why I took it out of my start-up. I don't really remember. But attached is the screen shot of the error I keep getting, when I try to un-install.

Attached Thumbnails

• Desk Shot2.JPG

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

The easiest way to get rid of it is to download and then install appropriate version of Musicmatch and then uninstall it.

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I have gotten rid f both programs, finally, and the splash screen still pops up. Also, the MSConfig utility pops up at start up, I click normal startup and then ok and it comes up next time I reboot.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Hi,

Don't worry about System Configuration Utility window at Windows start up.:)

Now follow these steps:

Step 1

• Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
  • The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2

• In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
  • Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
  • When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer and check for Windows installer splash window at Windows startup.
Step 3

• Now restart and test the issue at hand
  • If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Startup tab. Reboot to test again. If the problem recurs, Uncheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.
  • If the problem does not re-occur, check the other half. Reboot to test again. If the problem recurs, Uncheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.
You can also check Startup items one by one and restart after each change to test if the problem recurs.

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Well it was an HP Digital driver for something. I have an HP printer so I did that last. I went the first half then one by one to check them and the very last one was the HP Digital Driver so I uninstalled the 3n1 Digital drivers but kept the actual printer driver and no splash screen. So am I cleaned up now? If so what do I do for security to make sure that nothing conflicts. Amor has been a pain in the butt it pops up and asks for everything.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Yes. Your computer seems to be malware free since that step here. That installer splash screen was not malware related anyway.

If you have no further issues with your computer, then please proceed with the following housekeeping procedures outlined below.

Removing the tools we used:

Reset System Restore points:

• Please reopen Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Copy (select all lines inside quote box and press CTRL+C) and Paste (press CTRL+V) the following code into the Posted Image textbox.

:Commands
    [ClearAllRestorePoints]

• Click on Posted Image button.
  • OTL may ask to reboot the machine. Please do so if asked.
  • Click on Posted Image button.

NEXT...

OTL Clean-Up:

• Reopen Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click on Posted Image
  • You will be prompted to reboot your system. Please do so.

If you still have any tools or logs leftover on your computer you can go ahead and delete those off of your computer now.

There are a few things I recommend you to do once your computer is completely clean:

Updates for Windows - One of the essentials is to keep your computer updated with the latest operating system patches and security fixes. Windows Updates are constantly being revised to combat the newest hacks and threats, Microsoft releases security updates that help your computer from becoming vulnerable. It is best if you have these set to download automatically.

How to turn on Automatic Updates for Windows:

Java and Adobe Reader updates

There are certain programs that are security vulnerabilities, it is recommended that you keep everything updated. Two of the main vulnerabilities are Java and Adobe Reader.

Java Updates - Java needs to be regularly updated to fix security vulnerabilities. You can download the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from here. Download, install and reboot your computer. You also need to uninstall older versions of Java:

• Click Start
  • Select Control Panel
  • Select Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.

Note:
If the normal uninstallation process (as mentioned above) fails, then please try Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. This tool will ensure that all irrelevant Java Runtime Environment Microsoft Installer (msi) registries are removed. Detailed information and download is available at: Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Removal instructions:

• Download the Microsoft Installer Clean Up utility file and save it on your desktop
  • Double click on executable file. The installation process will start. Follow the instructions accordingly
  • Once installation process is over, go to Start -> All Programs -> Run Windows Install Clean Up utility
  • This will launch the Windows Installer Clean Up utility dialog box
  • Under the Installed products list, select Java 2 Runtime Environment v1.5.0_03
  • Click Remove and Exit

Update Adobe Acrobat Reader to latest version. You can download it HERE.

Suggestion:

Foxit is a great free PDF alternative. It uses fewer system resources and is not vulnerable to the exploits affecting Adobe Reader. Providing full PDF functionality, Foxit is rapidly becoming the PDF reader of choice for many. Get it here.

Other Software Updates - Go HERE to scan your computer for any out of date software at least once per week. The vast majority of virus, worm and spyware infections could have been prevented, if the user had kept their software up-to-date. You should do everything you can to keep your software up-to-date. Doing so will help you prevent infections and the headaches that follow them.

Web Browsers - Picking the right internet browser is very important. You need to find one that suits your needs but that is also safe. All browsers listed below are far more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also have the best built-in pop up blockers.

Although, if you prefer staying with Internet Explorer I highly recommend you do this :

Make Internet Explorer more secure:
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the options Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls to Prompt, and Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable.
  • Next click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:

Now after all these steps, your PC will be more secure. However it is important to note that you can still get infected if you are not careful. One of the best security programs you can have is common sense. As malware gets more sophisticated, you need to be more wary. If you do get caught though and the above steps can't help prevent it, we will be here to help you out.

Stay secure and thank you for choosing GeeksToGo.

Advertisements

Dougrbi

Dougrbi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Everything works great on my PC, Well great is maybe too strong a word, goof for a 7 year old PC, After weeks of frustration, It is back and faster then before. You guys did a great job on helping with this problem. I owe a huge THANK YOU!

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
You're welcome.

I would recommend you to add more RAM (2GB for optimal performance).

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.