Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Turning off monitor

• Please log in to reply

jrwb

jrwb

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi all and Happy Easter

I have an Acer Aspire 5517 Laptop with Windows 7 which I have connected to the television. I am wondering if there is a way to turn off the laptop's monitor while watching the computer on the television.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try pressing [fn]+[F5] a time or two. On my Acer that acts as a three-way toggle:

1) Laptop screen only
2) Laptop and external monitor
3) External monitor only

jrwb

jrwb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Do you mean to press the key F + N AND F5? Together, all of them, or FN then F5?

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Very easy fix if the last post doesn't work. Since you have windows 7, simply hold Start+P and navigate to Projector Only

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
While holding down the single key with the lowercase [fn] written on it, (in sort of a cyan/light-blue color), tap the single key with the [F5] written on it.

Now let go of both keys.

Now do the same thing again.

And again.

And once more.

It's a three way toggle, as described above.

jrwb

jrwb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think I understand, I did what you said and it worked, but other keyboard problems, e.g I couldn't get any type to appear in this box without a restart, and the up down key was functioning differently.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If the keyboard doesn't work right in the BIOS/CMOS Setup screens, something is wrong with the hardware. (Could be the keyboard, or motherboard, or possibly the BIOS).

If it works fine in the BIOS/CMOS Setup, try Windows Safe mode next. If it works fine there too then the problem lies with some of the drivers/programs that are being loaded in Normal mode.

Let us know what you find out ...

--

*-edit-* How old is this laptop?

Edited by SpywareDr, 27 April 2011 - 04:40 AM.

jrwb

jrwb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I do not think the problem is as advanced as that - this laptop has Windows 7 which must be the stupidest OS of Microsoft I have ever used. It is about 2 years old and used to have Vista which was better in some respects.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Does the keyboard work right in the BIOS/CMOS Setup screens?