Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Certain sites won't load

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

newguy298

newguy298

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Cannot Continue the Hardware Update Wizard

The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.
Choose what you want to do.

To keep the current software, click Finish.
To search again in another location, click back.

This happens when I choose recommended, however, it does tell me to put in an installation CD or floppy disk if it came with one, but I do not know if it did.

If I choose advanced, it says Include this location in the search.
C:\\WINDOWS\INF
This is the option I am given automatically, and returns the same error.

Advertisements

Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 23 posts
Try accessing this site: http://www.broadcom....faq_drivers.php

You're looking to find your driver for your specific adapter, how to uninstall it and then install the downloaded driver.

Casey

newguy298

newguy298

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm not quite sure what to do with that site. I tried exploring Device Manager, but that only got me back to trying to update the driver on my NETGEAR router, which still won't work. Perhaps you could take a look at my computer through Teamviewer? I can pm you the id and login.

Also I finally found Timer.dll trying to put itself on auto start again.
This is its file path. rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXDBtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
I have read this is the digispid.b trojan on a few different sites (such as http://www.auditmypc.com/timer.asp) and would like to remove it. Any ideas? I was thinking for awhile that maybe it got in though mySQL since I believe I used mostly default settings, and I have not updated it in a long time. I use it to broadcast on an internet radio site, and this may be part of the issue.

Maybe if we connected the computer through the router to the internet rather than the modem (assuming this computer can even do that, I do not know if it picks up wireless connections) then we could connect to the websites? Because the computer is running off the modem, and certain sites will not load, however the ipod which connects through the router can.

Also I checked over my run on startup programs one last time, and Timer.dll keeps adding itself to start up Whether I like it or not. This concerns me.

Edited by newguy298, 12 June 2011 - 06:25 PM.

Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 23 posts

I'm not quite sure what to do with that site. I tried exploring Device Manager, but that only got me back to trying to update the driver on my NETGEAR router, which still won't work. Perhaps you could take a look at my computer through Teamviewer? I can pm you the id and login.

OK, hold off on that for a second.

Also I finally found Timer.dll trying to put itself on auto start again.
This is its file path. rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LXDBtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
I have read this is the digispid.b trojan on a few different sites (such as http://www.auditmypc.com/timer.asp) and would like to remove it. Any ideas? I was thinking for awhile that maybe it got in though mySQL since I believe I used mostly default settings, and I have not updated it in a long time. I use it to broadcast on an internet radio site, and this may be part of the issue.

The file path is pointing to LXDBtime.dll which is a dll file relating to your Lexmark printer. The LXDBtime.dll file and the entry is completely harmless. Are you sure that's the file path?

Maybe if we connected the computer through the router to the internet rather than the modem (assuming this computer can even do that, I do not know if it picks up wireless connections) then we could connect to the websites? Because the computer is running off the modem, and certain sites will not load, however the ipod which connects through the router can.

Is the router connected to the modem? Or does the router have an in-built modem and it's plugged directly into your telephone line?

Most desktop PCs do not have wireless connectivity, however, most wireless routers have ports allowing you to plug in an ethernet cable at the back. Could you verify this for me?

Casey

newguy298

newguy298

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes that is the file directory as listed by Tune Up services. Also the router plugs in to the modem, but has several more ports. Also my parents and grandparents are INSISTING that my Mom's friend take a look at the computer and try to fix it himself. I have tried explaining that we should not be getting help from multiple sources at once since they can interfere, but they will not listen. Hopefully no harm will be done.

He just poked around at most of the same exact stuff we already have done. He thinks it is the modem as well. We also fixed getting Ultramon to start on boot again.

Edited by newguy298, 14 June 2011 - 09:08 PM.

Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 23 posts
Can the router run without the modem (does it have an inbuilt modem), so that you can remove the modem and just plug the telephone cable into the router? You may need to check with the documentation (or just try it).

Have you tried plugging the PC into the router?

Oh and you're right about the help from others - but I understand this must be frustrating and thanks for letting me know about it. Did he actually change anything?

Casey

newguy298

newguy298

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
We didn't change anything except try google's DNS 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 again. Everything else was what you and I tried mostly. He tried tracert a few times and doesn't believe it is the ISP's fault. We are now tryimg Open DNS again.

newguy298

newguy298

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It appears Peerblocker's P2P block list included the sites I wanted to access. This is fixed by opening Peerblocker and allowing the ip ranges you are trying to access to be accessible permanently or temporary. Thanks for all your help and I will certainly use Geekstogo in the future! :) Is there anywhere I should fill out a survey or can reccommend you to other users in some way? Thank you very much!

The only other thing I need your help with is re-enabling teatimer for spybot.

Edited by newguy298, 16 June 2011 - 04:07 PM.

Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 23 posts

It appears Peerblocker's P2P block list included the sites I wanted to access. This is fixed by opening Peerblocker and allowing the ip ranges you are trying to access to be accessible permanently or temporary.

Another reason not to use P2P programs :) Seriously, I'm glad you managed to fix it - I don't think I'd have ever been able to diagnose that as the issue.

Thanks for all your help and I will certainly use Geekstogo in the future! :unsure: Is there anywhere I should fill out a survey or can reccommend you to other users in some way? Thank you very much!

No, but you can always visit my site and leave a testimonial or write one here (and I'll post it on my site).

The only other thing I need your help with is re-enabling teatimer for spybot.

Sure...

• Open SpyBot Search and Destroy by going to Start -> All Programs -> Spybot Search and Destroy -> Spybot Search and Destroy.
  • If prompted with a legal dialog, accept the warning.
  • Click Posted Image and then on "Advanced Mode"
    Posted Image
  • You may be presented with a warning dialog. If so, press Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Check this checkbox:
    Posted Image
  • Close/Exit Spybot Search and Destroy

We Need to Clean Up our Mess
Our work on your machine has left considerable leftovers on your box. Let's clean those up real quick:
  • Reopen Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click on Posted Image
  • You will be prompted to reboot your system. Please do so.

All clean speech

Below I have outlined a series of categories that outline how you can increase the security of your computer and help prevent reinfection. Please take the time to read through them and follow the advice given.

Keep Windows up-to-date
Microsoft continually releases security and stability updates for its supported operating systems and you should always apply these to help keep your PC secure.

• Windows XP users
    You should visit Windows Update to check for the latest updates to your system. The latest service pack (SP3) can be obtained directly from Microsoft here.

Practice Safe Internet

One of the main reasons people get infected in the first place is that they are not practicing Safe Internet. You practice Safe Internet when you educate yourself on how to properly use the Internet through the use of security tools and good practice. Knowing how you can get infected and what types of files and sites to avoid will be the most crucial step in keeping your computer malware free. The reality is that the majority of people who are infected with malware are ones who click on things they shouldn't be clicking on. Whether these things are files or sites it doesn't really matter. If something is out to get you, and you click on it, it most likely will. Below are a list of simple precautions to take to keep your computer clean and running securely:[list=1]
  • If you receive an attachment from someone you do not know, DO NOT OPEN IT! Simple as that. Opening attachments from people you do not know is a very common method for viruses or worms to infect your computer.

• If you receive an attachment and it ends with a .exe, .com, .bat, or .pif do not open the attachment unless you know for a fact that it is clean. For the casual computer user, you will almost never receive a valid attachment of this type.

• If you receive an attachment from someone you know, and it looks suspicious, then it probably is. The email could be from someone you know infected with a malware that is trying to infect everyone in their address book.

• If you are browsing the Internet and a popup appears saying that you are infected, ignore it!. These are, as far as I am concerned, scams that are being used to scare you into purchasing a piece of software. For an example of these types of popups, or Foistware, you should read this article: Foistware, And how to avoid it.

There are also programs that disguise themselves as Anti-Spyware or security products but are instead scams. For a list of these types of programs we recommend you visit this link: Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

• Another tactic to fool you on the web is when a site displays a popup that looks like a normal Windows message or alert. When you click on them, though, they instead bring you to another site that is trying to push a product on you. We suggest that you close these windows by clicking on the X instead of the OK button. Alternatively, you can check to see if it's a real alert by right-clicking on the window. If there is a menu that comes up saying Add to Favorites... you know it's a fake.

• Do not go to adult sites. I know this may bother some of you, but the fact is that a large amount of malware is pushed through these types of sites. I am not saying all adult sites do this, but a lot do.

• When using an Instant Messaging program be cautious about clicking on links people send to you. It is not uncommon for infections to send a message to everyone in the infected person's contact list that contains a link to an infection. Instead when you receive a message that contains a link, message back to the person asking if it is legit before you click on it.

• Stay away from Warez and Crack sites! In addition to the obvious copyright issues, the downloads from these sites are typically overrun with infections.

• Be careful of what you download off of web sites and Peer-2-Peer networks. Some sites disguise malware as legitimate software to trick you into installing them and Peer-2-Peer networks are crawling with it. If you want to download a piece of software a from a site, and are not sure if they are legitimate, you can use McAfee Siteadvisor to look up info on the site.

• DO NOT INSTALL any software without first reading the End User License Agreement, otherwise known as the EULA. A tactic that some developers use is to offer their software for free, but have spyware and other programs you do not want bundled with it. This is where they make their money. By reading the agreement there is a good chance you can spot this and not install the software.

Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Regularly Update your AntiVirus Software

It is imperative that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out. If you use a commercial antivirus program you must make sure you keep renewing your subscription. Otherwise, once your subscription runs out, you may not be able to update the programs virus definitions.

Make sure your applications have all of their updates

It is also possible for other programs on your computer to have security vulnerability that can allow malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector and Calendar of Updates.

Install an AntiSpyware Program

Several good and free antispyware programs are available to download, I recommend that you install one in addition to your anti-virus program. Some examples are Malwarebytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware.

Install SpywareBlaster

SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

Update all these programs regularly
Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Casey

Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 23 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements