Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

BlueEew

BlueEew

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello, there.

I was using my computer yesterday and I went to use the toilet, I came back and my computer screen was off. So I turned the computer off and tried starting it back up again. However it didn't boot up and instead the fans we're just spinning louder then normal. So I left it until this morning and when I tried switching it on the fans spun for a second or two and nothing happened (except for the switch light on the front flashing).

When I tried turning on again the fans we're spinning louder again however there was a beeping noise. The beeping noise was long beeps repeating over and over with them being the same in length and the time between them was the same also.

Since this I have opened it up and had a little look around, unplugging everything and putting them back etc.. I have tried various stuff that I found on the Internet but nothing works. Now and then it would come and the fans would spin louder and now they just spin for a second and then nothing.

I have also tried other leads and that is not the problem.

My computer is the Advent T9307; specs found here: http://www.uktsuppor...nt/pc/t9307.htm

I have looked at all the fans also and all three seem to spin for a second. I have tested the RAM by taking one out changing with the other trying just one, switching them around etc also. I've also tried taking the little silver battery out and putting that back but nothing. Also all three pins that are set to (1-2) I have changed to (2-3) and back again and nothing. I don't know what they we're for, I just tried it.

Can anyone please help me fix my computer?

Regards,
BlueEew.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi BlueEew :D
With the computer turned off smell the PSU (power supply unit) any kind of burned smell, again with the computer turned off and disconnected from the wall socket, take anti static precautions by touching a bare metal part of the case then remove the video card blow out the slot and then reseat the card securely, do the same with the Ram, re-connect all components but keep the side of the case off so you can check what fans are turning, this includes the PSU fan, good luck and let us know how it goes.

EDIT: I cannot find the details for the computers PSU can you provide them with your next post.

Edited by phillpower2, 24 April 2011 - 11:38 AM.

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have done all the following earlier and I just smelled the power supply and it doesn't smell burned out or anything. I blew on the power supply fan and lots of dust come out, I then turned it on to get the beeping noise again rather then it working for a second. So I blown it again and it sounded like I got a successful boot up as there was one small beep like there used to be.

I'm going to plug everything back in i.e the monitor and see if dust is the problem.

Not to sound stupid or anything but;

Can dust cause this problem?

EDIT: I'm now just getting the long beeps again. :D

Edited by BlueEew, 24 April 2011 - 11:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I'm going to plug everything back in i.e the monitor and see if dust is the problem.

I would try a known good PSU the present one cannot be trusted I`m afraid, if it goes it can take out your whole system.
Dust is one of the main causes of failure in computers and/or their components, it creates heat which in turn then causes the failure.

EDIT: Just spotted your edit, a little bit more information on PSUs for you, a PSU can appear to be working because it powers up but because it puts out different voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12 if one of these outputs is bad then you get issues, what you are experiencing is one of them.
If you cannot loan another PSU to try can you try you graphics card in another computer to try and rule that out.

Edited by phillpower2, 24 April 2011 - 12:04 PM.

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So if my graphics card is fine in another computer then the problem lies with my PSU?

Wouldn't properly cleaning my computer be a good idea? I have had it over four years now and when I opened it up today it was very, very dusty.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

So if my graphics card is fine in another computer then the problem lies with my PSU?

It is too early to say 100% that it is the PSU and that is the reason for suggesting trying the card in another PC, it is narrowing things down a bit, if the card works it only rules the card out as the culprit, it could still be the MB.
Different BIOS manufacturers have their own beep codes check http://acronymsonlin.../beep_chart.asp for your beep and let us know what you find.

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

1 Continuous Beep or Non-stop short Beeps ?Bad Power Supply

^ That is the only one that describes what mine is doing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok the options are still the same try a known good PSU in your computer and if you can`t do this, try your card in another computer, please do not try your PSU in another computer.

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Can I use a PSU from a old Windows 2000 Packard Bell computer?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If it has the same power connectors then yes, this may include either a 20 or 24 pin main board power connector, a 4 pin ATX power connector for the CPU, 4 pin molex connectors for the HDD and CD/DVD drives (these may also be the SATA type) a small 6 pin pci-e connector for the video card if it has one and a small 4 pin connector for the FDD if one is fitted, see http://www.playtool....connectors.html for help in identifying the various types of connectors.
You asked in an earlier post;

Wouldn't properly cleaning my computer be a good idea?

Definitely, make a habit of doing this on a regular basis, especially if you have pets.

Advertisements

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for all the help, I'm going to see what I can get my hands on and report back. :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok I will look out for an update :D

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay so I opened my sisters computer up and used her PSU (her PSU was made by the same company as mine) and the same happens fans run and a long beep continues. I couldn't test my graphics card in her computer because it's different to mine. Her's is connected straight to the motherboard and there is no actual card with a fan on present like there is in mine.

Edited by BlueEew, 24 April 2011 - 03:28 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Is there no pci-e slot on the other computers MB, it is possible it has onboard video and an expansion slot.
One other test you can try on your computer is remove all of the Ram and power up, the PC will not boot obviously, the idea is to see if the error beeps change, if they do it shows the Ram is ok and suggests the GFX card is bad.

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I took them both out and powered up however it's just spinning once and stopping again. I put them back and I'm getting the same. All day it's been rather doing this or bleeping??

Edited by BlueEew, 24 April 2011 - 03:57 PM.