Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

I took them both out and powered up however it's just spinning once and stopping again. I put them back and I'm getting the same. All day it's been rather doing this or bleeping??

This comes back to the PSU again, possibly the supply from the PSU to the MB, what happens if you leave the Ram in but remove the video card?
What about this from post #14

Is there no pci-e slot on the other computers MB, it is possible it has onboard video and an expansion slot.

Have you checked if there is also a pci-e slot on your sisters computer that you can put your card in instead of using the onboard video.

EDIT: Rather than going around in circles I feel the best suggestion is to do a bare-bones set-up with the MB out of the case and the minimum amount of components fitted, see my canned text on how to do this below;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU (your sisters), third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Whilst the MB is removed from the case take the opportunity to clean out all heat trapping dust from inside and check that the HS below the CPU fan is not clogged with dust, if it is it will cause the processor to overheat which then forces a shutdown to protect the CPU, again see below for my canned text on how to safely clean out your computer;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan. Make sure all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Edited by phillpower2, 25 April 2011 - 02:29 AM.

Advertisements

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I got the computer to beep with the RAM out and it created the same beeps. So I tried my sisters RAM with my PSU and I got the computer on, it booted up until the blue Windows screen about 30 seconds in then went off.

So I tried it with my sister PSU and it done the same thing, then after a couple attempts it just started spinning for a second again.

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
EDIT.

I took the MD out and unplugged everything, then I put it back together and I got it on. Afterwards it wouldn't come back on so I tried my sisters RAM and it's been working again, back to normal.

Thanks for all the help, I guess I need to buy me some RAM. I'm going to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB. :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Congratulations on resolving your boot up issue BlueEew :D
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, for choosing GTG and most importantly for sharing your solution so that it may help others in the future :D

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for all your help. :)

However I've today got another problem.

I took my sisters RAM out to borrow it again and I'm getting the old beeps again. Alos the RAM will not work in my sisters computer now aswell. However my RAM from my computer is working with my sister computer. Have I possibly damaged my sisters RAM? What I also don't get is why my RAM works in hers but in mine it doesn't?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
This is a long shot but worth a try, take a pencil eraser (the pure rubber type) and clean the edge of the Ram stick/s that go into the MB (sometimes referred to as the gold finger) if there is any static charge built up in the Ram this should dispel it.

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

This is a long shot but worth a try, take a pencil eraser (the pure rubber type) and clean the edge of the Ram stick/s that go into the MB (sometimes referred to as the gold finger) if there is any static charge built up in the Ram this should dispel it.

I tried this and no luck. :yes:

However I ordered myself a new 1GB RAM to test that and it still doesn't work. :)

It appears that my old x2 512MB RAM's work in my sisters computer, my new RAM works in her computer. I just don't get it.

So first my sisters RAM makes my computer run fine (I used computer all night) then the next morning I take my sisters RAM out put it in again and it's broke (won't work in mine or my sisters computer). New RAM won't work, tried sisters PSU and no difference.

What else can it be? When I got my computer on the other night it had all my data and everything was normal - so would this suggest that the HD, CPU, and MOBO are fine?

I'm thinking maybe the Graphics Card, but I don't have another one or a computer to test mine on. :unsure:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
This may be the Ram slots on the MB, have a close inspection of them, there must be no dust whatsoever in them.
Have you checked to see if your sisters MB has a slot for an add on video card?
Try removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it, this will restore the MBs default factory settings, if you get a screen you will need to go into the BIOS, reset the time and date then save and exit.

.jpeg courtesy of rshaffer61

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have tried the battery removal lots of times I don't think that's the problem.

Dust in the RAM slot makes sence to me since it worked then didn't maybe dust got into it when I had no RAM in there. What would be the best way to clean this out?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

I have tried the battery removal lots of times I don't think that's the problem.
Try another CMOS battery, Im not suggesting this is the problem only trying to clear a possible bad MB setting.

Dust in the RAM slot makes sence to me since it worked then didn't maybe dust got into it when I had no RAM in there. What would be the best way to clean this out?
The dust would have to have already been in there, it may build up over time, the best way to clear it is by using canned compressed air, I havn`t suggested this because it would mean spending cash and it may not even resolve the issue.

Have you checked to see if your sisters MB has a slot for an add on video card?
What is the answer to this question please, testing your card elsewhere or another card in your system is the only way forward at the moment.

Advertisements

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
There seems to be a slot, however I would have to unscrew the MOBO so I can fit it in (I don't want to really mess with my sisters computer anymore.

However I have been having a test around and cleaning etc and it seems when I take everything out it beeps except for when the Video Card is removed. When this is removed it doesn't beep but for example if I leave the Video Card in and take out the RAM it still beeps.

Would the none beeping when the Video Card is out show that it is not working?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

There seems to be a slot, however I would have to unscrew the MOBO so I can fit it in (I don't want to really mess with my sisters computer anymore.

Agreed, it should not be necessary to remove the MB anyhow.

However I have been having a test around and cleaning etc and it seems when I take everything out it beeps except for when the Video Card is removed. When this is removed it doesn't beep but for example if I leave the Video Card in and take out the RAM it still beeps.

Would the none beeping when the Video Card is out show that it is not working?

No, the system is beeping when it encounters a problem component but the Ram is tested before the video card is so if the Ram is removed it could be either component.

EDIT: See the info @ http://www.go2inbox....p?readinfo=2027 regarding the POST (power on self test) procedure.

Edited by phillpower2, 28 April 2011 - 03:51 PM.

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I thought it would show the Video Card is the broken part as:

W/RAM + Video Card = Beeps
W/RAM + No Video Card = No Beeps

I guess I need to test it on another computer, just got to find one first.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts

I thought it would show the Video Card is the broken part as:

W/RAM + Video Card = Beeps Previous to doing any testing it could be the PSU, Ram or the Video card.
W/RAM + No Video Card = No Beeps Suggests it is the Video card.

I guess I need to test it on another computer, just got to find one first.

My suggestion in post #14

One other test you can try on your computer is remove all of the Ram and power up, the PC will not boot obviously, the idea is to see if the error beeps change, if they do it shows the Ram is ok and suggests the GFX card is bad

Your reply in post #15

I took them both out and powered up however it's just spinning once and stopping again. I put them back and I'm getting the same. All day it's been rather doing this or bleeping??

This shows that when the Ram is in it is passing the POST but when the Video card is being tested POST is encountering a problem.
As an outside chance as the cause what type of keyboard are you using, the PS/2 type (wired) or a wireless USB type?

Edited by phillpower2, 29 April 2011 - 01:28 AM.

BlueEew

BlueEew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It's a wired keyboard, I am using it now to type this but using my sisters computer.

Edited by BlueEew, 29 April 2011 - 11:47 AM.