Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Interesting Freeze Issue

• Please log in to reply

HockeyPop

HockeyPop

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
E-Machine T6212
3200+
AMD Athlon 64
2 gig processor
512 L2Cache
2000MHZ FSB
Philips 17" Flat Screen
Nivida VDS 200 gs

The mouse and keyboard freeze.

It was getting worse and worse so I got as much backed up as I could.
Then I tried to track down the problem.
I did a non destructive rebuild using the PC Angel rebuild partition that comes with the system. I have had this system since 2004 and never had any issues whatsoever.
This seamed to make a temporary improvement, however during large downloads the machine would still freeze.
This got me thinking that it may be the drive itself.
So I disconnected the hard drive and booted up Puppy Linux from the CD Drive.
This also seamed to work but eventually froze.
So I decided to put a battery in the board in case it was dead and causing Bios issues.
It seamed to boot faster at first but still gave the same problem.
This at the same time was causing me to do repeated hard resets, In effect triggering multiple CHKDSK's on start up. During which the computer reliably froze.
So I attempted to get the files off the machine using Linux Puppy. The result was mixed, Moving to many files at once seamed to make the machine freeze.
So I began moving smaller and smaller groups of files. I got most of them off except the large ones that simply freeze the box in mid download.

Other things I have done ware swap around the ram in the slots and even tried one at a time.

It will run on the bios all night long without freezing. Whereas, running on windows it will freeze in an hour or so even without activity.

I hooked up the monitor to my laptop and it functions flawlessly.

I have swapped out a known good video card. No Change.

I am running out of ideas...

Any Ideas I have not yet tried will be welcome...

help...

Hockey Pop

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello HockeyPop.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :D
:D :D

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

HockeyPop

HockeyPop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

May I assume that option "A" is the "Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287" ? I don't see an option clearly marked "A" that's why I ask.

Please keep in mind that I really can not transfer any files with out the box freezing, and also that it freezes even without the hard drive connected.

Also keep in mind that I am on a net book with no cd drive. So I can only create bootable usb drive and not bootable cd drive programs.

Skipping ahead to the part that the problem happens even when the hard drive is not plugged in is probably the way to with the trouble shooting. In other words if the problem happens even when the HD is not plugged in...chances are good that it's not a problem with the hard drive.

I realize that you just did a cut and paste but I think I have already done most of those things that my system is capable of being done considering the issue I am having.

Thanks
Hockey_Pop

Edited by HockeyPop, 24 April 2011 - 04:03 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Option A for memory test:

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

HockeyPop

HockeyPop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Option A for memory test:

Other things I have done were swap around the ram in the slots and even tried one at a time

Edited by HockeyPop, 25 April 2011 - 03:03 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Freezes with either memory module in?
Try the software memtest86 then to test both modules.

HockeyPop

HockeyPop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Freezes with either memory module in?
Try the software memtest86 then to test both modules.

Will that run from a flash drive?

Also keep in mind that I am on a net book with no cd drive. So I can only create bootable usb drive and not bootable cd drive programs.

BTW. Do you think all 4 RAM sticks could go bad at the same time?

HockeyPop

Edited by HockeyPop, 25 April 2011 - 03:28 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Will that run from a flash drive?

As long as the system is capable of booting to the flash drive then yes.

BTW. Do you think all 4 RAM sticks could go bad at the same time?

Doubtful but stranger things have happened.

HockeyPop

HockeyPop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I will see if I can boot from the flash drive, and give it a try then. I've tred everything else.. why not..

HockeyPop

HockeyPop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well I figured out how to install memtest to a thumb drive and tested it on the net book and it worked great. But now I am trying to set up the problem computer to boot from flash drive and cant seam to figure it out.... Is there a setting in the BIOS to include the USB device in the boot menu?

Edited by HockeyPop, 26 April 2011 - 01:34 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Is there a setting in the BIOS to include the USB device in the boot menu?

Yep normally in the boot sequence there should be a setting for booting to a USB drive or External Drive.

HockeyPop

HockeyPop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, after some finagling I managed to get it to boot from the flash drive and managed to run memtest on boot.

It passed 0 errors. I tested it will all 4 sticks in it. 2 passes

I'd take a screen-shot but I dont know how to with this running... SO I took a picture of the screen with my Blackberry. I hope its clear enough to read..
Is there an easier way to get a screen shot of this?

Posted Image

Edited by HockeyPop, 26 April 2011 - 12:15 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now have you run the hd diagnostics yet? I don't see any results for it before the memory tests stuff.

HockeyPop

HockeyPop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't think I can without the box freezing. In fact I don't think I could even download it much less install and run a program. Can it be run from a flash drive on boot?

Besides this issue happens even with out the hard drive hooked up, remember?

Edited by HockeyPop, 26 April 2011 - 01:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Besides this issue happens even with out the hard drive hooked up, remember?

I understand that but I'm trying to make sure nothing else is going on first. You managed to run memtest86 which takes a lot longer to run then a hd diagnostics testing.
It should run from the usb just like memtest did.
This is not looking good for the motherboard at this point to be honest but I just want to check everything else first.