Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD not recognized by windows, but OK in BIOS?

• Please log in to reply

kankaroo

kankaroo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I am trying to upgrade a hard drive on a desktop pc (Advent T9306 - Motherboard: MS 7091 Ver:2). The problem is the drive is recognized in BIOS, but not when trying to perform a fresh install of either Windows 7, or XP. Both programmes tell me no HDD is detected.

So basically, the computer works no problem at all until I try to plug in one of my sata 1tb HDD's. One of them is Hitachi, the other is made by Samsung. Both 1tb, both sata. The Samsung is brand new out of the box.

These 1tb drives work in my other desktop pc no problem.

Now, when I plug one of my many old sata 40/60gb HDD's into the machine it recognizes them completely!?

Could this be that the computer does not recognize drives of this size as it is old? I have tried changing all settings in BIOS with no joy. I have even installed XP on one of the drives using another PC, then plugging it into the problem computer. It starts to load XP then restarts, and continues in a loop.

Please help as I have wasted my weekend off work on this!

Many thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi kankaroo :D
Did you do a full format of the new HDD using NTFS.