Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive letter assigned to flash drive

• Please log in to reply

busdriver12

busdriver12

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have a couple of 8Gb flash drives which I use primarily for document backups. The other day I bought myself a 16Gb flash drive to combine the files backed up to the 2 separate flash drives and also to provided another level of redundancy for my backups.

I placed both flash drives into the PC so I could copy the existing content of the 8Gb drive onto the 16Gb drive. Windows assigned drive e: to the 16Gb drive and f: to the older 8Gb one. However, whenever I place the 8Gb drive into the PC it retains the f: drive letter previously used despite there being no other external drives in use.

What I need to do is release the drive letter (f:) currently assigned to the drive and re-assign e: to it as I use batch files to copy files to the drive like they used to. Any idea how I can do this?

TIA

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
When you connected the two flash drives at the same time windows assign the F to the second one and now even if you connect only that one to it Windows remembers the flash drive and reassingns it the same drive letter.

With only your current F: flash drive connected you need to go to the Admistrative Tools\ComputerManagement\Disk Management menu and right click on your flash drive and change the Drive Letter Path to E:

Next time you connect the two Flah drives at the same time make sure you connect the one you want to E: attach to it first and then the 16gb flash drive second this way the second one will be given the letter F:

Hope that helps

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't change it to E...that could be a cd/dvd drive...change the drive letter to M or n or anything up to z
that way uou know its not going to interfere with anything else

busdriver12

busdriver12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

When you connected the two flash drives at the same time windows assign the F to the second one and now even if you connect only that one to it Windows remembers the flash drive and reassingns it the same drive letter.

With only your current F: flash drive connected you need to go to the Admistrative Tools\ComputerManagement\Disk Management menu and right click on your flash drive and change the Drive Letter Path to E:

Next time you connect the two Flah drives at the same time make sure you connect the one you want to E: attach to it first and then the 16gb flash drive second this way the second one will be given the letter F:

Hope that helps

It sure did! I learnt something new about XP today - many thanks!

happyrock I have a single partition hard drive (c:) and a DVD drive (d:) so the next available drive letter on my system is e: which is what I want assigned to each flash drive when inserted into the system.

Thanks fellers for your help - much appreciated :D
:D

Edited by busdriver12, 25 April 2011 - 06:52 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Hope that helps

It sure did! I learnt something new about XP today - many thanks!

happyrock I have a single partition hard drive (c:) and a DVD drive (d:) so the next available drive letter on my system is e: which is what I want assigned to each flash drive when inserted into the system.

Thanks fellers for your help - much appreciated :D
:D

Glad to help