Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need new CPU cooler - help!

• Please log in to reply

kate0558

kate0558

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
So my computer keeps randomly going black. (The tower stays on so theres still power coming from the power supply)... fans still spinning.. all that good stuff. just the screen goes black. I do hear what seems to be a wierd noise coming from the cpu cooler when it goes black... so i checked speedfan program that i downloaded... and i don't know much about temperatures but i do know that the little fire symbol means its too hot.
I tried in the past (about 4 months ago) to replace the cpu cooler but after buying the Rocketfish Universal CPU Cooler from Best buy... and it didn't fit... I just replaced the case fan instead.

Am I right to think i need a new cpu heatsink and fan?
Any reason to think it could be something worse like the motherboard thats damaged?

I put large fan directly behind the tower to try to cool it down more.. and that got it to stay on for slightly longer then 10 minutes...but it still went black shortly after.

I have a Gateway DX 4300-05 (bought about 1 1/2 years ago) I replaced the case fan (nothing special just an adjustable speed case fan) thats on the back of the tower.
I also added a 1gb graphics card about a year ago... and replaced the power supply about 6 months ago with a 750 watt one.

the specs are here :
http://reviews.cnet....7-33743840.html

I have a AMD Athlon X2 7750 / 2.7 GHz processor. And i have a 3 pin connector for cpu cooler.

I don't know what "socket type" it is..

Would this one fit?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103057

I don't have a whole lot of money or a long time frame for this (my boyfriend lost his job and its our only computer)

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The socket type of your processor is AM2+

You do not specify what was the temp Speed Fan indicated.

The Rocketfish Universal CPU Cooler is specified to be good for sockets AM2 but does not say AM2+ so I cannot garantte if it is compatible.

The COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP you indicated is compatible with sickets LGA 1366, 775 and AMD Socket (AM3/AM2+/AM2) so it should work with your processor but the Gateways computers (motherboards) are sometimes made differently than usual computers so I cannot garante that it will fit.

Always make sure you apply the Thermal paste properly (not to much).

Hope this will help

kate0558

kate0558

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thank you! that explains why the rocketfish one didn't fit! I'll have to order one and hope it fits on the gateway.