Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so that means you need to run the memtest86 program. If you can' not get Memtest86 then try the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics below.

Download Windows Memory Diagnostic
If you have Winrar or another third party compression utility installed it may associate the file to itself and it may look like a Rar or ZIP.
Do not unzip or unrar the file as it will not work correctly if you do
There is a really easy to follow WMD Guide here on GTG

If you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files then download Burncdcc from my signature below.
Note: Do not put a cd in until Burncdcc opens the tray for you.

1) Start Burncdcc
2) Browse to the saved ISO file on your Desktop...in this case Windiag.iso. Winrar may associate the file to itself and it may look like a Rar or ZIP. Do not unzip or unrar the file as it will not work correctly if you do.
3) Select the Iso file
4) Click on Start

Leave the CD in the drive and reboot the system. Now you will need to change the Boot Sequence in Bios
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

• Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) watch the screen to find out which KEY button or Combination to click to enter Setup.
• Find the Advanced area and click Enter
• Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
• Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom or Floppy depending on which way you are running the test.
• Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
• Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
• You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

When the system boots you will now allow the Windows Memory Diagnostic to run.

• Allow the program to run for at at least Two Complete passes
• There are Six Tests that the program will run on each Pass
• This will take some time but allow it to run
• If at anytime there appears a Failed Message at the bottom of the screen, then you can Exit the program by clicking the X
• If After it has run the required passes and there are no error messages then just click the X to exit the program and reboot.
• When the system reboots then please go back into the bios and reset the Boot Sequence so that the HDD0 is the first boot device.
• Make the CD Rom the Second boot device.
• Click F10 to Save and Exit and then Y to verify the Save and Exit

The system will now boot up again. Once these are complete then reply back with the results of the test.

Advertisements

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Allright, so I insert my empty disk, intent on downloading memtest86... But as I try to open F:\ I get an error message saying it is not accesible because the disk structure is damaged and unaccesable. I tried using a disk I know works, but I get the same problem. I only notice this now since, well, this is the first time I actually have to use one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Why do you need a disk to download the memtest86?
Save it to your desktop and then follow the instructions from there.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I mean a CD. Don't I need to write the program to an CD then boot it first?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download the program and save it to your desktop.
Then click on the file to unzip it.
Then using the burning program in the instructions find the file that was unzipped and use it to burn to the cd. Once that is done and everything is right then reboot the system with the cd in the drive. If the system is set to boot to the cdrom then the memtest will start.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
But I can't acess the CD. Or would it work regardless because of the burning program? I'll try it in each case tommorow.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if you can't access the cd then this is not going to do any good.
Can you try a different system and see if it will work?

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Ah, sorry for the delay. I presumed too early I would be out of this mess.

Writing the program on the disc from another pc, that I can. But one question: what would happen if I tried booting from the faulty disc tray? If it wouldn't work, would it just skip to the ordinary hard drive, or what would happen? I'm happy enough to give that a try once I find the time, but I want to make sure it cannot do any damage.

Thank you, as usual.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

But one question: what would happen if I tried booting from the faulty disc tray?

Are you saying the cdrom drive is faulty?

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm suspecting it to be. It worked fine before the computer freezes started, but I hadn't need to boot from an CD from then off, until it was required here. I seem unable to run or open any CD from it now, which is why I'm guessing it's faulty.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try one of the cd's we made here to see if it works on another system. If so that would be a good indication yours is failing.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Sorry for this horrible delay again. Anyways, I'm failing to make any CD's on the broken computer. I was more wondering if it would be possible to burn the program on the CD from a different computer, then try, but that seems doubtful.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can use a different system to download the programs. Then burn them using the instructions. Then take the disc and try it in the problem system. If the cdrom drive is working it should boot to the cdrom.
Again you need to make sure in the bios that the cdrom is the first boot device.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 24 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

masterb7

masterb7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Hello there. First of, an apologie for just dissapearing of the globe. The thing that happened was as this. It proved difficult to get an cd burned with the program I required, and it looked like, with a faulty disk tray, it wouldn't work. I had by that point managed to deduce allready that my problem was not software, but hardware related. I figured that the few extra bucks it would take to have a person test the pieces to see which one was broken wouldn't be that big of a deal considering I would probally have to buy a new piece of hardware anyways. It turned out to be the motherboard if I may believe what the guy told me, and it is fixed now. I apologize for only telling this now, the thought crossed my mind every now and then, but it had allready been a week so I figured it didn't really matter that much anymore.

In each case, thank you for helping. Whilst we may not have fixed the issue together, I know you tried your very best, and it was my choice to take the quick and easy route. The computer is fixed now, so there is no more need for this topic. Thanks once again though :)

Edited by masterb7, 06 June 2011 - 07:17 AM.