Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My CD drive/memory card drives don't work..?

• Please log in to reply

heymountain

heymountain

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The other day I was trying to burn a disc for someone. I ejected disc 1 really quickly and put the 2nd disc in really quickly.

My drive stopped working after that. It didn't accept the disc. There is no disc in my drive and it won't accept a new one. If I click the eject button it doesn't work. It's supposed to make this little sound. It's a slot, not a drive, I guess.

I have tried using the automatic repair thing on the Microsoft website, but the only options it gave were "Disc won't play" or "Disc won't burn". I just clicked disc won't play and it just said that Microsoft didn't recognize a disc.

The memory slot doesn't work either, even though I've never had any problems with it and I've always been very careful with it. It's a memory slot in the front of my computer for my camera's memory card. It worked just the other day (after I ruined the CD slot, though).

The USB slots work fine..?

Anyone know of a fix for this? Someone said to edit the registry on a site and everyone said it worked, but it didn't for me. I used the same fix. I have also tried restarting and ending NERO and MagicDisc.

Advertisements

Sixpack

Sixpack

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Is it possible it isn't a software issue? Did you try to look into the slot in case something is visibly jammed?

heymountain

heymountain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's very possible but I'm just not really sure what to look for exactly..I have a flashlight and a tiny pin I could use to adjust stuff if anything was wrong, but I can't see anything in there..in the slot it's basically just this sponge-y thing and the disc just barely fits in between them.

When I try to put a disc in to see if it will "accept it", it'd be possible to push the disc all the way in. It's not that anything's stopping it, it's just that the slot doesn't "accept" it..

heymountain

heymountain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have tried using MagicDisc and it doesn't work. It does not recognize different drives. When I click "assign drive" and choose a letter, it still just shows up as a question mark. The slot for my memory card works again but that's it.

heymountain

heymountain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Wait, it works now. But the original one is still a question mark. I had to add new drives and restart the program. The slot for my CDs still doesn't work