Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD from driver file on startup, can't start in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

yacoxx

yacoxx

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I ended up getting one of those "Microsoft Security Center" viruses. Booted into safe mode and used Kaspersky and Malwarebyte to find and remove a few trojans. When I booted back up, all the pop ups and fake virus scans were gone. However any .exe file I tried to open (mozilla, internet explorer, MS Word, etc) would prompt me for with the dialog box to select which program I want to open it with.

I didn't really know what to do, so I put in my Windows CD that came with the computer (Dell), and attempted to repair Windows. It did it's thing, and when it restarted to finish the set up I got the blue screen of death. Message was "DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS" and the file was nv4_mini.sys (nvidia display driver?). I tried booting into safe mode, but when I do I get a message stating Windows can't complete setup in safe mode, and I have to restart.

So right now I can't boot into windows (always get the BSOD). I can't boot into safe mode, because it seems that windows didn't finish the repair and is still trying to finish the setup. I went into the repair utility and ran a chkdsk which found said there were errors. I ran chkdsk again with the /r and it finished.

I have no clue what to do here. Do I need to just reformat/wipe the drive and reinstall Windows? Is there any way to get around the blue screen on startup, and allow the repair to complete?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Before you do ANYTHING please read this tutorial http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/
and save your data.
Your pictures and documents will be in the users folder.
After you save your data, you may need to reinstall windows, we will see what can be done.

yacoxx

yacoxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the data saving tip. I actually have an external Seagate backup hard drive attached, and it automatically backs up my entier C: drive daily. So I've got the date backed up. Just hoping to fix the problem without having to do a major restore and re-configure all my user settings, outlook accounts, etc.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If the computer needs to "finnish set up" you most likely have reinstalled Windows.
The errors that chkdsk found bother me as that can indicate a serious issue with your hard drive.
When you put the windows disc in did you select repair and than get a command prompt window? Did you enter any commands?
Was this disc a recovery disc for another computer?

yacoxx

yacoxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The windows disc is the windows disc that came with the Dell computer. For the repair, I didn't go into the windows repair utility. I chose the option to install Windows XP, and when it found that it was already installed on the drive, I chose the option to repair the installation. It went through it's process, and when it was complete it said it needed to restart to finish the setup. When it restarted and attempted to load Windows, I got the blue screen with the error.

Edit:

I did run the chkdsk after I did the repair mentioned above. That is when I went into the repair utility.

Edited by yacoxx, 25 April 2011 - 05:30 PM.

yacoxx

yacoxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was able to get through the issue. I removed my video board, and put in another one I had lying around. It no longer had the blue screen error with the old driver file, and was able to finish the windows repair.