Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect laptop to HDTV

• Please log in to reply

ferb

ferb

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I want to connect my Compaq Presario C500 laptop to Sony Bravia KLV-40BX400A LCD Full HD. My tv have HDMI input but my laptop don't have it. My laptop only have S-video & 15-pin output (VGA... I think...). My tv have:

[*]PC-IN 15 pin & PC/HDMI 2 Audio In
[*]S VHS/Hi8/DVC camcorder
[*]HDMI In
[*]USB

What is the best, cheapest solution?
What kind of cable do I need?

Thnks...

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Just connect your laptop to the TV's 15-pin D-sub connector using a regular vga cable. It won't give you HD of course, but it is the easiest & cheapest way to feed your laptop to it.

However, first check what display resolutions are available in your laptop's Display Properties because 40-inch is a big screen and the laptop might not have a resolution setting high enough to fill that size. It's depends how much memory the graphics adapter has at it's disposal. The lower the amount of video memory, the less the max resolution will be.

Endless times I've seen posts from people who bought a large-screen TV for their laptop, only to find they didn't do their homework properly and the graphics adapter wasn't powerful enough for such a large screen.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 26 April 2011 - 08:21 AM.

ferb

ferb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Just connect your laptop to the TV's 15-pin D-sub connector using a regular vga cable. It won't give you HD of course, but it is the easiest & cheapest way to feed your laptop to it.

However, first check what display resolutions are available in your laptop's Display Properties because 40-inch is a big screen and the laptop might not have a resolution setting high enough to fill that size. It's depends how much memory the graphics adapter has at it's disposal. The lower the amount of video memory, the less the max resolution will be.

Endless times I've seen posts from people who bought a large-screen TV for their laptop, only to find they didn't do their homework properly and the graphics adapter wasn't powerful enough for such a large screen.

Thnks bro...
My laptop max screen resolution is 1280x800 (Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family).
Is it impossible for my hdtv to display HD quality video from my laptop?
There are a lot of 'how to connect laptop to hdtv' guide on internet, for example S-Video to HDMI cable blah..blah..blah... but will it works?