Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will combining hard and soft raid hurt redundancy?

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
this is a very odd post i know but i had to do this to get around the 2 tb limit that windows xp has.

i took the 3 drives i had and created two 2tb raid5's i than took the two raid5's and spanned them with the diskmanager to make a 4tb disk . will this cause any issues with rebuilds should a disk fail?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm not sure but I would guess yes it would screw you up trying to rebuild the array and would fail...
then any data you don't have a backup for will be lost...
I played with RAID 1 and 0 and 1+0 many years ago 1 stripped for speed and 0 mirrored for safety...the failure rate was about 50% when trying to rebuild a array and the same rate for trying to restore the array from a backup imaging program ( ghost )
also if you tried to defrag the drives it sounded like they were going to destroy themselves...10,000RPM WD RAPTORS
I finally quit trying to do anything with raid...it just wasn't worth the time and headache
there are much simpler ways to back up your data and keep it safe

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
well since nothing is on the drives right now i can copy a few gig and than pull a drive just to see what happenes :)

but here is how i decided to set up the raid
ftp://[email protected]/raid.jpg

the forum doesent seem to be able to load pictures from ftp servers for some reason. most can tho

Edited by mikeloeven, 27 April 2011 - 08:33 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just get the screenshot/picture saved to your desktop then attach it...be sure to save as a .jpg or they may be to large to upload...

just click on browse...after selecting the picture click on attach...then post reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
here is the picture

additionally i know at geekstogo you try to get rid of malware but do you know where i can get program i can use to corrupt the data on a single targeted harddrive on the raid drives to simulate a disk failure ??? yanking it out simulates a catastrophic burnout but not slow corruption caused by age or bad sectors

Attached Thumbnails

• raid.JPG

Edited by mikeloeven, 27 April 2011 - 08:40 PM.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
There is DiskProbe in the Windows XP Support Tools.
Just open a physical drive (NOT a partition) then write some junk into it.
The tool and the toolset itself are extremely dangerous, so watch out.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
it 's not possible to do perminant physical damage with diskprobe is it the drive can be reformatted afterwards ?

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
it 's not possible to do perminant physical damage with diskprobe is it the drive can be reformatted afterwards ?

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Yes, DiskProbe only edits the data. It cannot cause permanent physical damage.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Just reminding you, but I am not sure that it will work with RAID. It might end up messing things up.
So be careful, please.

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
what i will probibally do is shut down the raid than move the target disk to a test machine before running the utility to avoid any accidental deletions :)