Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting Laptop to HDTV

• Please log in to reply

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I have a Dell laptop with Windows Vista and an HDMI out port. I tried to connect it to my sony hdtv and it will not output to it. Any ideas on why this will not work or how I can fix it? When I change the output to monitor/tv on the intel graphics properties it says settings are not supported.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, it is only a guess, but maybe the notebook resolution is set to one the TV does not support. Can you connect a normal external monitor to your notebook and get a display on it?

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I can do it with the normal monitor cable from my laptop to the monitor and it works fine. But if you mean by use of the hdmi cable I cannot because the monitor does not have an hdmi in.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Unfortunately, at this point, we don't know if your notebook is failing to output video via the HDMI, or if your TV's HDMI port is not working properly. All I have to offer is to check your Dell manual to make sure you have the HDMI port selected, and check your "Source" settings on the TV to make sure it is set to the right one. It will still be nice if you can try the notebook's HDMI connection on another monitor as that will tell us for sure if the problem is with the notebook, or TV.

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I tried my laptop on another HDTV. The first one I tried that didn't work was sony tv about 50". The second one I tried it on was a JVC tv about 30". It did not work on the sony, but it worked immediately on the jvc. Any idea why it wouldn't work on the sony and how to fix it?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

it worked immediately on the jvc. Any idea why it wouldn't work on the sony and how to fix it?

No. I would look in the Sony menus and manuals about connecting PCs.