Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

product key ms vista

• Please log in to reply

tjcturner

tjcturner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
had a computer business change motherboard and by doing so they put windows vista on the computer which worked ok but I have had a couple of problems and the biggest problem is, i cannot download any updates due to the product key that does not work. The business is gone out of business. Is there anything that can be done to get a key that would work. thanks

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

There are many "dodgy" PC repair centres who install copies of Windows using product keys that have either been used already, many times over, or are otherwise not valid or genuine. These keys are (eventually) "blacklisted" by Microsoft & held on a central database. Whenever you use Microsoft Update you key is checked against this database.

I'm afraid we cannot help you to get a valid product key. You will have to contact Microsoft or just by a genuine retail copy of Windows which always comes with a genuine key & install that.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 27 April 2011 - 02:41 PM.