Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I'm looking at buying a new laptop with these specs:

HP Pavilion dv7t Quad Edition
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU: Second Generation Intel Quad Core i7 2720QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB l3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz

GPU: 1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 6770M (HDMI, VGA)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (2 Dimm)

Hard Drive: 750GB 5400RPM

There are a lot of extra features, but these are the main core specs. I ask this because I am ordering this online and I am able to customize the laptop in terms of these specs and want some opinions in if I should upgrade certain features. I will use it for work of course, but I am an avid PC gamer as well running games from The Sims 3 and FIFA 11 up to GTA IV and Crysis 2

I can get the price for this machine down to $1,285 AUD (But I am still on the hunt for HP redeem coupons which could bring it down even less) Any suggestions appreciated
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
The 7200rpm HDD would be better for gaming, do you really need the additional storage space on the HDD?

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
How much of a difference do you think it will make (in terms of gaming)? I don't really mind going down from 750 to 640, just curious thanks for your input!

Also, are there any other good gaming laptops (or desktops for that matter) within the $1500 price limit that you would recommend?

Edited by ZaRMan, 30 April 2011 - 07:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

How much of a difference do you think it will make (in terms of gaming)?

Depends, the faster the game the more you would notice it, the efficiency of the CPU, Ram and video chip will also have an impact on performance.

Laptop http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834214279 (mean machine)

Desktop add your own upgrades as appropriate http://www.tomshardw...clock,2893.html