Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wasn't broke, Fixed till it is!

• Please log in to reply

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi,
I am someone who is inflicted with always having to tamper with something!

My latest ballsup is that after months of tailoring and optimising my machine I thought I would move from sp2 and install xp3, I think I put in the wrong type of pakage. (:-((

I installed it on my machine (HP xw8000, xp pro sp2, 2x intel xeon) and upon reboot it froze at AGP440.sys.
I could not start it in safe mode, and repair console chkdsk fixmbr and fixboot had no effect.
I tried to do a system restore vai the command prompt "cd c:system~1_resto~1 and snapshot etc" and edited the script etc but to no avail.

My next attempt was to make the messed up drive as a slave in another machine to access it and uninstall sp3 from there. I done this but it did have some side effects on the C drive of which a fixmbr resolved and then seemed to have to reinstall a few drivers again.

How it stands at the moment.. When I put the dodgey drive back as master and try to boot after disabling the agp440.sys by doing listsvc it now freezes on \mup.sys.

Has anyone any idea how to resolve this.... I hope what i have written makes some sence.
If I am to combat this I take it that I have to access the drive as a the slave?
Is there some way to do a system restore whilst the drive is a slave, the files are there rp1 to rp36.
Please take note that I am only a novice diy geek so I can only understand the lower end of medium heavy. (:-))
Any and all advice welcome TIA,
Tom.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
You can only use SR from inside Windows, IIRC.

Can you use Safe Mode with Networking? With Command Prompt?

If not, I am afraid that you will have to reinstall Windows.

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks,
I will give try the Networking option a try and post result.
It's just so fustrating (but on the other hand a big relief)to be able to get in to the nitty grittys of the drive without being able to sort it out. At least I have access to all my data, I obvously just have to transfer it to another drive and reinstall programs hopefully. But I would of really liked to of sussed this one out.

I will do the transfer to make sure alls safe and then try another few things over the next few days before I admit defeat.

Does anyone know of any other route??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
when you can't even boot into safe mode you will have to repair xp...

for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...

if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

Learn how to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 here...read the before you begin

BTW...love the topic title... Wasn't broke, Fixed till it is.. :)
I wish more people were as honest...
:unsure:

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank you very much Happyrock. :)

There was something nagging in the back of brain and you knocked the nail on the head!
I done the repair with the disk and now I'm back up and running, I was on the verge of doing a fresh install as I had given up hope.

I think I'll give the sp3 a miss as I don't think I need it and I'll only be tempting fate again.

Once again, Thanks Happyrock and to you Devper94

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,911 posts
Without SP3 you won't get the newest and most important security updates. It's really important. Without those security updates, you might be posting the malware forum!!

That is unless you have a 64 bit system, as there is no SP3 for that product.

I would make a full backup, including system state, before attempting that install again.

I also love the title, my wife has accused me of the same thing a few times :)

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks Crowbar,
I will do a pratice run on my other machine first as it is less important than this one.
In all honesty this machine is on a volume licence and I think this had some contribution to the problem?

The sp3 i attempted to install was the "Checked build"!

Edited by Tommy Timebomb, 30 April 2011 - 06:26 AM.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Are you running a Windows checked build?
Normally you should run the normal (free) build.
Get it at Microsoft or use Windows Update.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,911 posts

Thanks Crowbar,
I will do a pratice run on my other machine first as it is less important than this one.
In all honesty this machine is on a volume licence and I think this had some contribution to the problem?

The sp3 i attempted to install was the "Checked build"!

I never heard of the checked build. If you are not a developer than you would be better off with the normal build download as Devper94 suggests.

Hmmm, I hope it's a legal copy. If not, then I agree that it could contribute to the problem.

Edited by Crowbar6761, 30 April 2011 - 07:23 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...to get the stand alone SP3 ...it seems to work better...
don't click on the red download button ...thats for driver detective...
its a little farther down the page where its in blue and says click here to download

Tommy Timebomb

Tommy Timebomb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank you,
This will be my mission for tomorrow.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
create a restore point first and disable your AV prior to trying to install it...good luck :)