Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moved to the Country, Question on DSL

• Please log in to reply

SkyhawkCaptain

SkyhawkCaptain

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hey all,

Since receiving help on my last issue (which by the way etaf the issue never popped back up), I have moved out to the country and no longer can received high speed cable internet. I have DSL as my option now. My questions are:

1. I use the internet to stream youtube videos and for online gaming, will I see a up/down performance difference between DSL and cable? (I would estimate I am about five to ten miles from where the company is that will provide my DSL)

2. Can I use my existing Netgear N300 wireless router and connect it to a DSL modem? I have two devices that need to access wirelessly (my comp will connect directly, wifes Mac needs wireless and our Bluray player needs a connection)

3. Are there DSL modems that have built in wireless capability?

4. Any suggestions on good DSL modems/router combos?

I thank you all for your time with this manner. Networking such as this is still very new to me.

Edited by SkyhawkCaptain, 27 April 2011 - 06:31 PM.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

use the internet to stream youtube videos and for online gaming, will I see a up/down performance difference between DSL and cable?

I didn't notice any difference and I'm farther from my ISP than you are

Can I use my existing Netgear N300 wireless router and connect it to a DSL modem? I have two devices that need to access wirelessly (my comp will connect directly, wifes Mac needs wireless and our Bluray player needs a connection)

Is THIS your router? Yes, I don't see why not.

Are there DSL modems that have built in wireless capability?

Like THIS? OR you could go HERE(no offense, I've always wanted to use that link :) )

Any suggestions on good DSL modems/router combos?

I don't have any...maybe someone more knowledgeable could give you some more opinions...I personally have only used Linksys(which I hear are overrated and overpriced)

SkyhawkCaptain

SkyhawkCaptain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah thats my router currently, was being used with Cox high speed internet. No offense taken on the google thing, I thought it was funny. Its not that I haven't searched, but my knowledge and understanding is limited and I wanted to get an idea from people who know :)

Thanks for the reply though!

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Also, I use Youtube and play FPS games with excellent ping on only 512K

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Cold Titanium is on point about the ping time when it comes to online gaming. If you actually look at the requirements for online gaming, the bandwidth spec is rather low and often over rated. Ping time is the important part when it comes to playing online. You can have the biggest pipe in the world, but with a 300ms ping time, you'll be lagging like crazy. On the other hand, a 512k pipe with a 50ms response time and you'll never have to worry about lag.

The lag is created when your box / console doesn't send or receive updated player data as quickly as it should due to the slow round trip time. This results in the slight "freeze" in the game while the box waits for the data. That's what happens when you're shooting at someone, suddenly they jump half way across the screen and your sitting there wondering why you're dead and they aren't. :)

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 29 April 2011 - 09:10 AM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Yeah, it's a real pain when in a sniper battle in TF2 :unsure: That was back when my DSL modem for some reason would randomly lag me out. Replaced the modem and all was fine :)

SkyhawkCaptain

SkyhawkCaptain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hey guys,

Yeah I play TF2 all the time. Right now I'm a raider in WOW (not for very much longer) and I need decent ping response. I was thinking about getting the D-Link DSL 2640B router/modem unit. It looks to be getting decent reviews on newegg and the price isn't too bad. (hopefully not the get what you pay for kind of price). The internet company is a mom and pop dsl organization since I am so far out now, their IT guy wants me to bring the modem to him so he can configure the DSL and I'll take care of the wireless part (thats how rural I'm talking:P)