Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot run certain program, various errors

• Please log in to reply

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I don't know how to go about it. If I try and buy a new one and it turns out the keyboard wasn't the problem, it'll be additional costs. If I take it to a repair shop, they might charge just to look for the problem. What do you suggest?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Short of being able to take the keyboard apart and checking to see if there is something shorted out or stuck there is no other option.
Being it is a laptop and something wet was sat on it I am willing to bet the issue is it has been shorted out. The issue started with the following statement you made.

I should also mention that my esc key stopped working recently. Probably because of water condensing and dripping down from the ice tray I have to put on the keyboard. I put a strong cooling pad underneath the laptop, but it doesn't help, and the laptop overheats anyway. So sometimes I put the ice tray on top as well. Although I put tissues underneath the ice tray to absorb the moisture, apparently it's not enough to stop some of it from leaking.

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
You were right - the problem lay with the keyboard. I disconnected it (but left it in place) and connected a usb keyboard instead. Then it booted fine. I performed the test with another user: firefox portable was able to start just fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So now the options are to either take the laptop in and have the keyboard replaced or use a external keyboard.

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I can use external keyboard. What about solving the problem for the main user? The easiest would be to use another user, but that wouldn't indicate the source of the problem, and would cause to lose settings.

Edited by ncvx, 05 September 2011 - 03:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Vista\Win 7 located HERE.

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
chkdsk performed on all drives, no change.
Also, it seems FN+F5 keys don't work on the external keyboard - with the built-in keyboard they'd perform special functions.

Edited by ncvx, 30 September 2011 - 11:17 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
have you tried to reinstall the problem programs to see if it will correct itself?

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes, I tried to launch the firefox portable installer but it wouldn't, saying it couldn't initialise the plugins directory.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate [b/memtest86+-4.20.iso[/b] file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Advertisements

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I was going to perform the test, but the os was so slow, that I just couldn't work with it. Although I was hoping to find out what the cause was behind the inability to run certain programs, I'm planning on moving all the important files and then installing xp so I can use the laptop. I also thought the test wouldn't reveal any hardware errors since simply switching to a different user resolved the issue. After I install xp, I'd be able to perform it anyway. I'm planning on overwriting the recovery partition to save space since I think it contains only vista tools, and I'll be using xp. However, if you think there are some files anywhere on the drive I should back up, please tell me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
before you go formatting and installing XP you need to visit the manufacturers website and make sure there are XP drivers for the system. If not some of your hardware may not work.

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I installed xp, everything's working well. I haven't run the hard drive test because no issues have arisen.

Thank you for your help and all the suggestions. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So everything is good and your issue is resolved with the new installation of XP?

ncvx

ncvx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes, I can now run firefox portable and everything else runs too.