Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing or corrupt hal.dll on XP reinstall

• Please log in to reply

DVCnerfherder

DVCnerfherder

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
As a result of a recent momentary power surge my Windows XP installation became so corrupt I decided to reinstall a clean copy of Windows. I have tried from 3 different XP installation disks, but each time I get the "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll" error message.

I have tried a variety of techniques to get the workstation back up including:

a) expanding the file from the installation CD
b) reinstalling XP multiple times, including a full reformat of the hard drive
c) editing the boot.ini file (a suggestion found elsewhere on the Internet), but I have no access to the EDIT command from the Recovery Console

I most recently installed the OS on this machine about 18 months ago and had absolutely no issues with it. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this problem and how to resolve it?

TIA.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Have a look here: http://pcsupport.abo...ssinghaldll.htm

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first try running run chkdsk /r
NOTE the single space before the /
WARNING... Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process when it is used with the /r switch, and Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.

if for any reason you can't run chkdsk /r or it wiil not complete you will have to try running manufacture specific testing tools

pick the tool thats made for your particular drive and always use the long tests if offered

for Western Digital drives go here
Use the Find by Model Number on the right side

for Seagate and Maxtor drives ...get seatools here

for Fujitsu drives go here

for Hitachi drives go here

for Samsung drives go here

Toshiba does not provide diagnostic tools for their hard drives...

Toshiba Hard Disk Drives and Optical Disk Drives purchased as part of a complete system are warranted by the system OEM. Please contact your system manufacturer for further details. 2.5" Hard Disk Drive ("HDD") products purchased in the United States and Canada from Toshiba authorized distributors carry a 3-year limited warranty. 1.8" Hard Disk Drive ("HDD") products purchased in the United States and Canada from Toshiba authorized distributors carry a 1-year limited warranty.

If the drive passes the hard drive tests... try running chkdsk /r again ...it can fix small problems with system files

nojoy...try formatting the drive prior to a reinstall of the OS