Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BAD_POOL_CALLER

• Please log in to reply

LucyXH

LucyXH

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please help, when I started up my computer today I got the following error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I have tried all the solutions offered on various forums, but I can't enter safe mode, boot from the CD, run chkdsk, enter the recovery console or reinstall Windows as when I try to do any of these things I just get a blue screen with the error message BAD_POOL_CALLER 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0xc2bf4000, 0x000000, 0x000000). I don't have a second pc to link this one to, so need a new solution. I have also tried swapping the RAM, removing one then the other etc. Do not have a recovery disk either. Help!!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi LucyXH ... :) ..:unsure:

download the following file: rc.iso....go here..then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r..press enter

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... a Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
WARNING... Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on how large the drive is...

LucyXH

LucyXH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply happyrock, however I am using a netbook at the moment that doesn't have a cd burner or even a floppy drive. Is there anything else I can do? Is there a way to wipe my hard drive without being able to actually get into windows?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
remove the hard drive and connect it to a working computer...then run chkdsk /r
or just format the drive while its still connected to the working system...
how are you going to install the OS if you Do not have a recovery disk... :)

LucyXH

LucyXH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I do have the Windows disk so can reinstall Windows once I have solved the problem of being stuck in this loop, but wanted to know if there was a way around this without connecting to another pc. I will try your suggestion. Just being impatient really :) Thanks for the help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can try here