Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you create junctions/symlinks that dont care about drive letter?

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
This may sound like a really assinine question but can you use linkd to point to some sort of unique identifier of the volume rather than a drive letter so that if you move say 2 disks to another computer the junctions on disk 1 will always point to disk 2 no matter what drive letter windows assigns???

Edited by mikeloeven, 28 April 2011 - 04:31 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In theory, potentially, but why do you need to do such a thing? You talk about "junctions" on hard drives, I presume you mean shortcuts?

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
no i mean ntfs junctions. it is to get around the 2tb drive limitation on xp the way the drives are configured spanning wont work and my backup utility needs a certain filestructure to work so the backups are on one drive and the folder is linked to a junction on the first drive. i guess i could just write a note to remember the drive letters.

Edited by mikeloeven, 29 April 2011 - 08:11 AM.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

backups are on one drive and the folder is linked to a junction on the first drive.

I don't get it...

About your problem, I don't think it is possible with Windows. You might have some luck with Linux, but I don't know any way to map a drive like that.
If you want your link to stick, consider creating a batch file that mounts the backup folder using junction or SUBST. Just remember to run it every time you install the drive, since it won't stick across reboots.