Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help With Avast Settings

• Please log in to reply

msbug

msbug

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I went from AVG 8.5 to Avast a little over a month ago. I am not sure about settings, as I am not totally computer savy and don't know what everything means. My computer browsing has slowed down since Avast and I had issues with opening websites and I found the Web Shield being the problem. That has stopped. But I have been looking at all the shields and settings. Like under web shield and settings, do I keep scan all files checked as it says it can slow down browsing? Do I keep use intelligent stream and enable web scanning. What is the best settings for everything. Thanks.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I don't use Avast any more but I have put it on my wife's laptop. The "Web Shield" used to be a problem with old versions of Avast but I haven't found that to be the case any more with the new version. When it was a problem with earlier versions I just disabled the web-shield completely or didn't install that component in the first place (Custom Install). My PC never caught any malware infections without the web shield.

The only Avast module I've disabled on my wife's laptop is the "P2P Shield" because she never uses any file-sharing software of any kind, so it would simply be waste of system resources to have that running all the time.

As for the settings for each protection component, they are all at default settings. I just disabled the avast sounds in the General Settings because they can be very annoying.

She's be using Avast now for 6 months with no problems at all, never had the need to change any protection settings from their defaults.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 29 April 2011 - 06:55 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Really no need to manually set any as the defaults do really good themselves.
If you are not using P2P then that can be disabled. What version of Avast are you running? Have you checked for updates manually to make sure your version is up to date?

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I am using Avast 6 and it is on Automatic update. I will disable the P2P. I had posted what was happening on the Windows XP forum when I would click on a website and after reading about the web shield, I disabled it for a bit and the problem stopped. I have it back on now and it is not doing the weird happenings anymore. I know I need the web shield, so I will leave it on. I do notice Avast causes the opening of sites to be a little slower, but I can live with it.

Is the webshield in Avast the same as a firewall? I am just using Windows Firefall. Anyway as I said I stopped webshield for 10 minutes and then started again and the problem stopped.

Edited by msbug, 29 April 2011 - 08:59 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Explanation of Web Shield from Avast.

Starting from the version 4.6. avast! comes with a new on-access scanning provider - Web Shield.
It is able to monitor and filter all HTTP traffic coming from the Web sites on the Internet. It’s implemented as a HTTP proxy running on your PC.
Connections from your Web browser are redirected to the Web Shield module. Web Shield in turn connects to the requested web server and while downloading the content it scans it for viruses and Trojans. Only the clean data is delivered to the browser, every malware is stopped before it gets saved on your PC.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thank you I will stop P2P and leave web shield.

Can I get rid of the yellow triangle on the avast icon after I turned off P2P shield?

Edited by msbug, 29 April 2011 - 09:19 PM.