Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Windows XP problem

• Please log in to reply

Denzil86

Denzil86

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm having problems reinstalling Windows XP, it keeps saying that there is no Hard Disk Drive detected. I want to format and then reinstall through the windows setup cd.

I have a Compaq V3793TU laptop.

I've backed up everything I need.

Put the windows xp professional cd in and boot from it, goes to blue installation screen press enter and then it loads all the files needed. After that I get "no hard disk detected" message.

Edited by Denzil86, 29 April 2011 - 04:40 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I would first check for possible hard drive failure by testing it with the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software. The links are here:
http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

You will need to download the DOS version of the diagnostic software which is an ISO CD-image file.
This allows you to create a bootable CD using IMGBurn from here: http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/
Then boot your laptop from that CD and the diagnostic software will load & appear on-screen.
Select your laptop's hard drive & run the test on it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
How old is the laptop?
Do you know if there is a recovery partition on it?
Do you know if it is a ide or sata drive?
If sata....are you loading the sata driver?

According to the Compaq website there is a update for a Intel SATA Advanced host controller.
That generally means that it is a sata drive and you need to load the drivers for a sata controller when the install asks.

Compaq v3793tu

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
HEADS UP...when testing the drive ...do not use the quick test

if the drive passes the hard drive tests and you still can't get windows to load try formatting the drive first using the recovery console...RC.iso

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Best option would be to use the Compaq recovery disc if you have it or can get it. It will have the SATA drivers integrated and you won't need to stuff around with floppy drives. That's right, XP requires a floppy drive to install the SATA driver upon installation - a USB floppy drive is what you want for that laptop.

Quarynn

Quarynn

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
You can use a program called nLite to add SATA drivers of your choice to the install disc

I had the same problem and got my Intel SATA drivers to the disk, and it's now working!

Denzil86

Denzil86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
If i downloaded this file would it fix the problem?

http://h10025.www1.h...689114&sw_lang=

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes and then once it starts installing you will need to hit cancel. This is where I found the drivers after it extracted and I cancelled:

C:\swsetup\SP38088\Files\32

Copy those files to floppy disk. Then you will need to have the floppy connected and hit F6 when first booting off the XP install CD. Then once it's finished loading it will ask if you want to add storage drivers.

Cheers

Denzil86

Denzil86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I am using a laptop so i do not have a floppy drive or access to a USB floppy drive.

Is there another way to do this?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Back in Post #6... use nLite and slipstream the drivers so it is already integrated into the XP install disc.

Advertisements

Denzil86

Denzil86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, i've got Nlite to run and i've selected the folder that the files extracted to but it comes up with a huge list of drivers for my Hard Disk. How do i know which one i have to select?

Another thing would i be able to load my sound card driver onto it as it is a pain to reinstall after i format the laptop. Where would i find that driver?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You would need to manually choose the one you have extracted as I tested for you above and gave you the directory.

Same deal for the audio drivers, you'd probably have to extract it and add it the same way. It'd probably be easier just to download and install it once you have the PC up and running again.

Denzil86

Denzil86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for that. Have selected the driver for my HDD and am currently seeing Nlite through to it's completion.

Denzil86

Denzil86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
New problem, formatted my computer and reinstalling Windows XP Profrssional. I got a message saying couldn't find computer name and then it switched off. Now whenever I try to install it just shuts down at the 39 minutes left part.

Denzil86

Denzil86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
The message I get is: "The application failed to initialise properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application"