Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer shutting down when hooked up to tv

• Please log in to reply

cyberhippiex

cyberhippiex

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have a hp mini-100 That i like to hook up to my tv via a device that allows me to stream video and such. IT was working great for a long while but now it has the nasty habit of shutting down about thirty minutes or so into a video. I dont have this issue watching videos just on my computers screen. what could cause this issue?

Advertisements

matt.

matt.

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Make sure you have the Power plugged into your laptop.

Then make sure you don't have idle switched onto 30minutes in power saving mode because this could change settings to do with standby etc...

If it's completely shutting down maybe try updating all your drivers especially your gfx drivers.

Ugh, all i can really suggest... if that doesn't work wait for a mod to answer :)

cyberhippiex

cyberhippiex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i changed the power saving mode..i also reset the standby mode to three hours. also reset the screensaver even. i guess I typed wrong when i said "shut down totally" i guess i meant to say the screen went totally blank. still had sound from the video that was playing though...sorry. .and thank you for your response I am totally stumped here. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,011 posts
Try toggling between screens by pressing the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys (possibly F5)
It is possible the inverter or back light has failed, shine a flashlight into the screen and look closely, can you see any images in the background, another possible cause may be the MB to screen video ribbon has become damaged or detached.