Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no bootable device found?

• Please log in to reply

MicksChick

MicksChick

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This is the message I'm getting when I try to boot my laptop... is my hard drive gone? I dunno whether to buy a new one or try to repair it.. all advice appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi MicksChick :)
Can you provide the laptops brand name and any model name or series number.
When you power up go into the BIOS and see if the HDD is listed then let us know.
Not knowing your laptops details at the moment we cannot be very specific but for
getting into the BIOS try tapping the F2, F8 or Del key when powering up.

Edited by phillpower2, 30 April 2011 - 05:21 AM.

MicksChick

MicksChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it does not show my hard drive installed... :unsure: It's an acer aspire 5720z running xp. Any other info needed?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Not looking good for the HDD I'm afraid, any recent performance issues with it, slow or noisy etc.
You could try removing the HDD from the laptop, clean the connections and then refit it and hope it is detected, if it is back up all important data to disk or flash drive a.s.a.p.
Should you need to replace the HDD consider http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136280
If the HDD is not detected you should try and loan an external USB HDD enclosure and attempt to retrieve your data that way http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817729011 as an example.
Below is the best info I could find on removing the HDD;

Installing a new hard drive is easy.Unscrew back cover for hard drive,unplug, take off old hard drive off the mounting, install new hard drive and plug in and replace cover.

I hope it is as easy as it sounds, good luck and let us know how it goes or if we can assist you at all.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
You have another Topic, here: http://www.geekstogo..._1#entry2003388

The problems seem "similar" but operating systems are different... XP and Vista

Are both of these topics referring to the same machine?

MicksChick

MicksChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no, they are not the same machine... any ideas on the other post? re: vista