Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive partitions - GRUB boot loader

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I'm not actually sure where this post should go. It's kind of applicable to hardware, OS, software...

I recently upgraded my computer with:

Gigabyte P67A-UD3R-B3
Intel core i5 2500K
2x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM
MSI Radeon HD6950 2GB
Seagate 1TB internal hard disk.

The issue i'm having is with my old Internal (A Samsung 1TB.)

On my old hard disk I had it split into a 700GB partition (Windows 7) and the rest had Ubuntu on it. After I upgraded, I reinstalled Windows 7 onto my new disk (had my old unplugged during the process.) After it was installed, and I plugged in my old disk and booted windows up - deleted the partitions on the old disk, and created a new 500GB one, leaving the rest unallocated. This worked fine all night and such - through multiple restarts.

Today I decided to have a little look at overclocking the 2500K, and after fiddling with the BIOS settings I saved and restarted. Usually what will happen is after the POST screen, it will say "Loading Operating System..." or something for a few seconds, then Windows will start loading. What happened though was that it went:

"Loading Operating System...
ERROR: Parition doesn't exist
RescueGRUB>"

Or something like that. Considering GRUB was the boot loader that went on with Ubuntu, I figured it had to be something to do with the old hard disk. I'm very unfamiliar with the whole boot sequence, and boot loaders and such, so I don't know how to fix it. Currently i've just unplugged the old hard disk so I could boot up.

Would anyone have an explanation and/or solution to this problem? As far as i'm aware the old disk has about a 500GB partition with nothing on it, and 500GB of unallocated space.

Cheers,
Seltox

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Stop overclocking. At least until this is resolved - then make sure you have properly addressed heat control for all your components, not just the CPU, before bumping up the clock again.

My "guess" is you have 2 problems and the first is that the old disk is listed before the new disk in the BIOS Setup Menu boot sequence. When unplugged, the BIOS looks for the old disk, can't find it so moves on to the next device in the boot sequence. When plugged in, it finds the old disk first and tries to load from it, but chokes. So you need to verify the new disk is listed before the old in the boot order sequence in the BIOS Setup Menu.

I think the second problem is a corrupt MBR - See, Restore Windows 7 MBR. Just make sure you select the right drive.