Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to fix the message file does not have program association

• Please log in to reply

Jewels777

Jewels777

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I having been reading the link form a retired employee to someone with I think XP. I have windows 7 and all my icons are CCleaner I can not open anything without this message file does not have program association.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Were you using CCleaner at the time? CCleaner is one of my favorite programs and I have not seen this happen with CCleaner. I have however, seen where many or all of the icons changed due to the IconCache.db file being corrupt. Fortunately, it can safely be deleted as Windows will rebuild with default icons after a reboot. "Show hidden and system files" must be enabled in Windows Explorer (not IE) Folder Options to view the file.

Go to Start, and in the Search programs and files text box, enter:

%localappdata%

...then press Enter. Delete IconCache.db and restart the computer.

You might also check out Microsoft Fix-it.

Have you scanned for malware?

Jewels777

Jewels777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Digerati

I have tried these suggestions,Go to Start, and in the Search programs and files text box, enter:

%localappdata%

...then press Enter. Delete IconCache.db and restart the computer.

You might also check out Microsoft Fix-it

Firstly no IconCache.db was there I even search for it. And the problem is so bad now that I can not even access. the internet not because of your suggestions before I did them. I not access anything when I turn on my laptop 32 straight up messages C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe - This file does not have a program association with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel. I'm actually on another computer to respond to you. Do you have any more suggestions?

Thanks

Jewels777

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Firstly no IconCache.db was there I even search for it.

As I noted, you must have "Show hidden and system files" enabled in Windows Explorer (not IE) Folder Options to view the file. Did you do that?