Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavilion Elite e9120f

• Please log in to reply

SandV4

SandV4

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello All,

So I got this tower from a friend who decided he didn't want it because of this problem. Basically what is going is that there is no display at all coming from the tower. I have changed out the graphics card and tested it on a working monitor but still no luck. The graphics card is pulling power from the PCI-E slot because the graphics cards fan is running. Any idea on how to get this fixed? The computer is running Vista Home Premium and the card is a Radeon HD4350 512mb. It came stock with this card and ironically enough I had my wife grab a new PCI-E card and she happened to grab the same one except the diamond edition. Thanks for the help in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi SandV4
Is this your computer http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c01738801
If is is it has an onboard video chip, have you tried conncting the display lead to this?

From the MB specs;
Video
Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 9100
Up to 256MB dedicated (dynamic memory as allocated by Vista)
Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 9100
Supports concurrent use of dual displays connected to onboard DVI and VGA connectors
Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards as independent graphics adapters.*
Also try removing the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments and then replace it, use a new one if available, this will restore the MB back to the factories default settings, if you get a display you will need to go into the BIOS, reset the time and date and save and exit.
Apart from the GFX card and its slot as the culprit it may also be the MB, CPU, Ram or the PSU, only testing will determine which.
Thanks to Ron Shaffer for the .jpeg

SandV4

SandV4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It does have on onboard video adapter but of course HP in their infinite wisdom disables it from the factory because they included a video card in the OEM build. I have already pulled the CMOS battery, reseated the ram and made sure all connections into the MB were proper. The PCI-E slot powers the fan on the video card so it is obviously drawing power. I am baffled on this one.

Edited by SandV4, 30 April 2011 - 10:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

It does have on onboard video adapter but of course HP in their infinite wisdom disables it from the factory because they included a video card in the OEM build. I have already pulled the CMOS battery, reseated the ram and made sure all connections into the MB were proper. The PCI-E slot powers the fan on the video card so it is obviously drawing power. I am baffled on this one.

I have not encountered this before, can you please enlighten me as to where this information came from, clearing the CMOS may remedy this.

SandV4

SandV4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
http://forum.desktop...20f-review.html

It's under the video options area. I have already cleared the CMOS and still have the same problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for that, an extremely stupid idea by HP!

There are also integrated video ports out on the motherboard, but with the inclusion of the of the video card, HP disabled them and screwed plastic covers over them so that they can't be used.

I wonder if it means disabled as in the BIOS and if the plastic cover can be removed!
Do you get any error beep/s at all, if not try removing the Ram and powering up to see if you get any error beeps, if you do then it may suggest the Ram is ok and it is the GFX card that is bad, trying one stick of Ram at a time is another suggestion.
Trying a known good PSU is highly recommended as the stock 300W ones that many brand names use have proved to be of poor quality and prone to failure, as the PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V any one of them can be bad but the PSU can appear to be working.