Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D-Link DI-524--cannot access setup mode

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I am trying to get into the setup mode for my D-link router and nothing is working. I put in the default info in the web browser to start and then a window opens up asking for name and password. I put in what I had written down and nothing is allowing me to get in. I even unplugged it and then tried again and the same thing. At one point, it seems like it is going to work as another window opens up and then the new window says "restricted" or "denied" or something like that. Does anyone know what I should do or what I may be doing wrong? Also, the router I have is rather old (I think). Should I just get a new one and if so, what is considered to be a good one and yet cheap as I am disabled and on a fixed income? Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Sounds like you have forgotten or incorrectly entered the customized router username and/or router password that may have been created when first set up.

Try carefully entering what you think it is, again.

If you can't get in, and need to... you can Reset to Factory Original Default and start over from scratch.

D-Link routers have a little "Reset" mechanism.
It is a tiny hole near the power connector and is specifically labeled "Reset"
Use a straightened paper-clip to press the button inside of that hole... keep it depressed for about 10 seconds.
This will dump all of your router configurations (including router name and password and any encryption settings for wireless) and put it back to Factory Original Default.

I think the default user name is "blank... as in leave it blank/empty) and the default password is "admin"

If I am wrong about the default username and password, you can look it up via google search for "d-link default password"

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
There are lots of new and supposedly better and fancier Routers available on today's market.
But your D-Link is going to give you as much through-put and configuration options for B and G type connection, that your present machine needs.

If you eventually buy an N capable machine, you "may" want to get an "N" capable Router, but it is doubtful that you will improve your connection (except that N is not vulnerable to cordless phone use on the 2.4mhz bandwidth if that is a problem for you)