Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer won't connect to the Internet

• Please log in to reply

Mickev

Mickev

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have two desktops and on laptop. One DT is connected by Ethernet, the other DT and LT are wireless using the modem/router (2wire) connected to the 1st with the ethernet. I went to work on my ethernet DT (work from home) on Thursday morning, and was having trouble with opening their phone panel (it's a panel that I open on the work website to receive calls from customers). It wouldn't completely open, and that has happened before (not just to me but every agent), so I cleared my java cache, deleted browsing history, and restarted the computer. When I restarted, I could not connect to the internet. However, my other DT and LT both can connect without a problem. I called my internet provider, went through a bunch of things, and when in safe mode, could connect, but when in "regular" mode, cannot connect. They determined it was a problem with my computer, since the other two wireless computers are working fine. She suggested that I look and see if any new software had been installed. A windows update had been installed the night before (Silverlight), so I uninstalled that and rebooted. Still a no go. Then I restored the computer back to a week before and re-booted. Still a no go. We have had problems with this computer before (very slow), but the funny thing is that in the past 2 weeks it has acted normal and opened up as quickly as the other two computers, even though it has been slow for years. I'm thinking it's time for a new computer, but thought I would check on here to see if you have any suggestions Thanks!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry uou have had to wait sometime for a reply.
Am I correct in saying that it will now NOT connect to the net whatsoever, except in Safe Mode, or is it only on that particular website.

What is the capacity of the hard drive and how much free space is there.

If you are using IE start it without add-ons and see if will connect then
Start
Programs
Accessories
System Tools
IE without add-ons.

If Firefox open the browser, click Help and click restart with add-ons disabled.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 May 2011 - 01:32 PM.

Mickev

Mickev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It will not open any internet site at all (Except in safe mode) for this particular desktop. IE says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" (that's with any page I try to go to). Firefox says "Unable to connect".
I tried the IE the way you described, without add ons, and I get the same message (Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage). I couldn't figure out how to do it through Firefox (which is what I usually use when I connect) with the directions you have. I have a Help and Support , but it opens up Windows help and support, nothing about firefox.
C drive is 60% free...capacity is 289GB, and space free is 191 GB. That's kind of weird because I just transferred tons of pictures and files to an external hard drive, I thought the 60% would go down (that's what I had before I transferred).
Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start, run and type cmd
at the prompt in the window type
ipconfig /all and press enter.
Then type
ping and that IP address displayed in ipconfig result.
press enter.
Are four sent and four received.
Then type
ping www.google.com
Are four packets sent and four received

Edited by Macboatmaster, 01 May 2011 - 07:00 PM.

Mickev

Mickev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Did the first step. When I went to type ping with the ip address, it said it is not recognized as and internal or external command. So I tried ping/ipaddress (typed out the numbers and dots), got a bunch of gibberish.
Then I tried ping with a blank space, then the ip address. It said packets: sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

After that I tried ping google.com and got Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss).

What does that mean? Thanks again for your help!
Michelle

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am not sure exactly what you are saying you typed.
See my screenshot.
You type
ping space 192.168.1.65 or whatever IP address is shown on the ipconfig.
and press enter

The purpose of this is to test the connection as against the ability of the browser to display the page

it said it is not recognized as and internal or external command. So I tried ping/ipaddress (typed out the numbers and dots), got a bunch of gibberish.

Try again please now you have an example on my screenshot.
The cmd to ping the website is the same
ping space www.google.com

However it look as though you have eventually realised that it was ping
space and the set of numbers.
Check your network connection hardware driver state

Use Device Manager
Use Device Manager to verify that your network adapter is working correctly:

Posted Image
Note
You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Open Device Manager in Windows 7 or Windows Vista
  • Click the Start button Posted Image, type "device manager" in the search box, and then, in the list of results, click Device Manager. Posted Image If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Double-click Network adapters, and then right-click your network adapter.
  • Click Properties, and then, under Device status, check to see that the device is working properly.
  • If the network adapter is disabled, click Enable Device to enable it.
Then if no success proceed as below

TRY THIS FIRST
  • Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button Posted Image, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.
  • Right-click the connection that you want to change, and then click Properties. Posted Image If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Click the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click either Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then click Properties.
  • To specify IPv4 IP address settings, do one of the following:

• To obtain IP settings automatically, click Obtain an IP address automatically, and then click OK - you are most likely to be on IPv4
To specify IPv6 IP address settings, do one of the following:

• To obtain IP settings automatically, click Obtain an IPv6 address automatically, and then click OK
<li> To specify DNS server address settings, do one of the following:

• To obtain a DNS server address automatically, click Obtain DNS server address automatically, and then click OK
  • NOW TRY the connection again
  • IF still no success proceed as below. to reinstall the driver for the network adaptor
Introduction Step 1. Check hardware Step 2. Use a troubleshooter Step 3. Update drivers
Use an automated troubleshooter
An automated troubleshooter is a tool that can find and automatically fix some problems with your computer. These troubleshooters aren't designed to fix every problem, but they're a useful tool to try because they can often save you time and effort.

Different versions of Windows use troubleshooters in different ways. Windows 7 uses troubleshooters from within the Windows 7 Action Center. Windows Vista and Windows XP use troubleshooters that can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center and then run on your computer. To use an automated troubleshooter, click the link for the troubleshooter for your version of Windows.

Windows 7
Run the Network troubleshooter first and then test your Internet connection.

To open the Network troubleshooter
  • Right-click the network icon Posted Image or Posted Image in the notification area of your taskbar, and then click Troubleshoot problems.
You can also run specific troubleshooters to focus on a particular network or connectivity problem. For example, if you are unable to connect to the Internet or access a particular website, there might be a problem with your Internet connection. Try using the Internet Connections troubleshooter to fix the problem. Follow the steps below.

If you can't connect to a computer on your home network, or on a corporate network, there might be a problem with your computer's network adapter. The network adapter might need to be reset, or the adapter driver might need to be updated. Try using the Network Adapter troubleshooter to fix the problem. Follow the steps below.

To open other troubleshooters
  • Click the Start button Posted Image, type "troubleshooting" in the search box, and then click Troubleshooting.
  • Click Network and Internet, and then click the troubleshooter you want to run.
For more information about network connection issues, see Networking home computers running different versions of Windows, Why can't I connect to a network? and Why can't I connect to other computers?

For more information about Internet connection issues, see Why can't I connect to the Internet?

For more information about network adapter issues, see How do I fix network adapter problems?

Windows Vista
When a network problem occurs in Windows Vista, Network Diagnostics helps to diagnose and repair the problem. For example, when you see some error messages such as “Page cannot be displayed” or “Server is not available,” you have the option to use Network Diagnostics to identify the problem. For other types of network problems, you can access Network Diagnostics by right-clicking the network icon Posted Image in the notification area of your taskbar, and then clicking Diagnose and repair.

For more information on troubleshooting network connection problems in Windows Vista, see Troubleshoot network connection problems, Troubleshoot network adapter problems, and Troubleshoot Internet connection problems.

Updating the driver for the network adaptor

Windows Vista
Show all
Posted ImageTo update the driver using Windows Update

Posted ImageTo download and install a driver yourself

PLEASE NOTE all the blue links are active.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 May 2011 - 12:31 PM.