Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to connect desktop to laptop?

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I want to share my internet connection with my laptop. My desktop is XP and laptop is windows 7, is it possible? I do not have a router so can I connect directly using a network cable? What's the easiest way to do this?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The easiest way is to get a wireless router, connect that to your DSL phone socket, then connect both computers to the router with an ethernet cable, or one with an ethernet cable and the other connected wirelessly. This setup allows either PC to connect to the internet quite independently of the other one (ie, for internet access with one computer you don't need to have both computers running).

The other way is to make use of Windows' built-in Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), but this requires that the "host" computer be running if you want to access the internet with the other computer. See this: http://windows.micro...nection-Sharing

Since the appearance of reasonably-priced wireless routers, ICS is now rarely used. Everyone I know with a shared internet connection uses the wireless router setup.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 01 May 2011 - 07:37 AM.