Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 Starter enhancements

• Please log in to reply

CycleRob

CycleRob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I got a Toshiba NB305-N600 NetBook and immediately began trying to change the desktop background. M$ intentionally did not make it easy by the usual right-click of the blank desktop to access the display properties and themes. You need to select "Display" in the Control Panel and make the right choices to get to "Theme". When I finally got to the theme and made all my favorite color/size changes using the classic windows theme, there was no way to save those changes with a name. The "Save" button is intentionally missing!! What is even more aggravating is that the "Windows" folder on the C: drive is over 9 GB in size!! So, it's apparently all there, EXCEPT access to all the features you expect to have when you own the program. Yes, I know, NetBooks have slow-and-lean hardware (1.5GHz, 1GB DDR3 & integrated graphics) but saving the simple menu color changes (of Windows Classic) does NOT strain that hardware. The lazy programmers apparently crippled many of the simple/useful features of win7 as they were disabling the resource hoggy AERO magic features. :unsure: Besides, most geeks add the 2 GB replacement module (only one memory slot) from Crucial, like I did for about $24. Win7 Starter DOES invisibly save my choices/changes to the default Windows Classic Theme for endless restarts/shutdowns/reboots but as soon as you make a resolution or obscure display change, it logs off/on and blows away all my changes. Then the hideous shades of blue desktop reappears and I have to make the 30 changes again. I know there must be a registry entry that can be added to cure this problem and I hope there's someone out there that can show me, and everyone else financially stuck with Win7 Starter how to do it. Include in that group people that do not want to give M$ any more $$$ -or- do not want to defect to a Linux distro. Again, is there a Registry magic trick that can add the Theme Save option?? :)

Advertisements

Xyhper

Xyhper

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Windows 7 Starter does not allow you to change the background. Silly, but thats how it is.

You can change it with these tools, but I do not support them (Since I run Windows 7 Enterprise, I don't need them), but they have proven to work.

Windows 7 Starter Changer - http://www.mediafire...mfga358t8zge3v5

Tutorial -

Enable Aero (If you want) - OH WAIT, I CAN'T FIND IT, WILL POST LATER.

CycleRob

CycleRob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Those links lead to attack websites that (unsuccessfully) challenged my Kaspersky AV and FW protections . . . not surprising since it came from a "new member" with (initially) 2 posts.

The fact is that my Toshiba NB300-N600 NetBook purchased 3-14-11 came with a version of Win7 Starter that DOES allow you to change the desktop background color and the sounds too. I only asked for a way, via registry entries, to add the default capabilities to configure and save the Themes like in Win7 Home Premium. I am kinda Geeky when it comes to personalizing Windoze, but I need someone even Geekier.

Edited by CycleRob, 03 May 2011 - 09:35 PM.