Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot enter Safe Mode after repairing XP

• Please log in to reply

richbmar

richbmar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Greetings,

After a long battle with malware, I needed to repair XP. Now the computer will not start due to a stop error and cannot be put into safe mode due to the install not having been completed. It is stuck in a loop.

I tried to start the computer in Safe Mode but am unable to because of a "setup cannot run in safe mode" indication which kicks you out.I have seen a posting indicating that there is a registry indication that indicates that Windows is in a setup mode which causes the Safe Mode to indicate "setup cannot run in safe mode" but failed to copy the information.

Does anyone know what registry key indicator is used to block the use of safe mode during setup?

I have the drive attached to another computer and have set it up so I can modify the registry.
I would like to be able to open in safe mode to perform a system restore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
Hello and Welcome richbmar

First, Is the disk you have a retail version (bought at a store separately from the computer) or an OEM version (like HP, Dell, Compaq, etc..) that came with the machine?

Thank You

richbmar

richbmar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am using a Dell produced XP install CD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your system a Dell and is the disk for your specific model?

richbmar

richbmar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No it is an IBM machine

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is part of your problem.
You can't use a recovery disk from one brand to correct a different system.
Do you have the disk for the IBM or a OEM version of XP?