Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD every time PC boots

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ok I have been doing some looking at this and it appears that Dell have recently changed the way this is done.... But the data was hidden in a third appendix to a fifteenth footnote

What we need to do is use the windows recovery console

Some very kind person has done a step by step guide with pictures on how to do this (phew)

Could you go to this page

Starting at step 4 and follow the process to step 13 where you will be able to determine where the recovery drive is located

If you are happy then proceed to the final step to restore, if you do not feel confident , let me know which drive the restore partition is on and I will then walk you thorugh the rest

Advertisements

Gwendolyn85

Gwendolyn85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok I got up to the 8th step and my PC says "no valid backup locations could be found" D: Will I have to get a backup from Dell? seems that everything inside the hard drive got messed up.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
At step 8 If, click the "Cancel" button to tell Windows to stop looking for a Windows backup

Then follow the steps from there - at this stage we are not looking for a backup but a recovery drive so continue with the remaining steps until we can see which drive has the recovery partition

Gwendolyn85

Gwendolyn85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I see the problem, I cannot go any further. In step 8 the pop up window saying "no valid backup locations could be found", instead of having a "retry" or "cancel" button I only have an "ok" button, and in the "restore your entire computer from a backup" window I do not have the second option of "restore from a different backup"; basically can't click next, just cancel which brings me back to the "system recovery options"

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets see if the recovery partition is on D - follow this step

Screen 14: From the System Recovery Options menu, select the "Command Prompt" option. The following instructions assume the Recovery partition (as determined in screen 13) is drive D: and the Vista OS partition to be overwritten is C:.

At the command prompt, type "d:" and press [Enter].

At the 'D:\' command prompt, type "cd \tools" and press [Enter].

At the 'D:\Tools' command prompt, type the following command:
imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\ When you press the [Enter] key, the ImageX utility will begin overwriting the C: partition with the contents of the Factory.wim image.

Gwendolyn85

Gwendolyn85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, I input the commands and got this:

Posted Image

How should I proceed from then on?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Type in the following bolded command at the D:\Tools prompt

imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\

This should then start to re-install windows

This has been a learning experience here, I just wish these computer firms would spend 50pence burning a windows disc for the end users

Gwendolyn85

Gwendolyn85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I'm such a dumbass, I forgot the spaces between the command, hahahahaha (somebody punch me) and... OH GOD MY PC IS BACK!!! :) and holy crap some my programs and games are still there oh my god oh my god oh my god @[email protected] Thank you! thank you so much!!!

Hahahahaha to be honest they might have included the cds, but I've moved a couple of times since I got it and I eventually forgot about anything that came with the pc outside of the pc itself and its cables (aka most probably I lost them ^^U)

I can't thank you enough for helping me reboot my pc, if I had tried to mess it up myself (as I did the second time ^^U) without help I would've made a bigger mess and taken it to some overpriced computer service like Geek Squad and get charged 200 bucks in the end. I've learnt a lot too, and I'll be more careful from now on. Again thank you so much, I really appreciate your patience and help, you're a great person! I wish you the best and if you ever need money... PM me, hahahaha!

Edited by Gwendolyn85, 13 June 2011 - 01:50 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ahh I love it when I get a happy bunny :)

If you have any problems at all remember where we are

Do you have any of the programmes you downloaded to clear the malware ? If so I will remove them cleanly for you

Make a note of those commands though so that if you ever need them again you will know how to do it :unsure:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements