Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
is the drive still recognised in the bios?

Advertisements

I love my vans

I love my vans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Still??? It never has

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, sounds like this drive is being somewhat sporadic then if XP can't always see it either.

Its possible that as this is an older drive, it may need a bit longer to get itself ready when the system is first powered on. If the bios tries to detect the drive before its ready, the detection can fail & it will assume there is no drive attached.
Can you boot system up as you have been doing, if XP can't detect the drive's presence, then perform a warm boot (ctlr+alt+del) to reset the system. See if XP recognises the drive this time.
If XP does recognise it (first or second time), perform another warm boot & press DEL (or whatever key is needed) to enter bios.

This time run the auto-detection utility I was on about earlier :
Depending on your particular bios, the very first screen will either be a menu page or it will be a page with settings (eg date, drives etc) listed.

If you see the menu page, look for an option called 'autodetect drives' or similar & run it.
If you have the other type, look at the drive listing on that page (hopefully) & see if the drive is present. If not, for each entry (4 in total) make sure the drive type is set to auto.

If none of this makes any sense when you get into the bios, then on the very first screen you see there will be a name (eg pheonix, award, ami etc). Just let me know what the name is.