Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Repeated BSOD's - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (ntkrnlpa.exe)

• Please log in to reply

magicfishes

magicfishes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have an Intel Pentium dual CPU E220 (2.20 ghz) running with 3gb of memory and 32-bit Win 7. I recently installed a NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT and have begun getting random BSOD's on a regular basis, all seemingly with the same cause - detailed below. I've tried upgrading the drivers for the graphics card and device manager shows no problems.
Crashdump attached... any suggestions as to how to sort this would be muchly appreciated :)

On Fri 29/04/2011 12:55:51 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042911-15522-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xDCDFC)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF86E99B00, 0xFFFFFFFF82F76AE0, 0xFFFFFFFF869A0008)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Attached Files

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you know what version of the video driver you have?
The newest one is located Here.
Version number is 270.61 WHQL
Date released is 2011.04.18
Released less then 2 weeks ago. :)

You can also go HERE and on the right side of the page you will see a button marked Graphics Drivers
If you click that it will check your current driver and advise of a newer driver in case you need it.

magicfishes

magicfishes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the January release and hadn't seen there was another - I'll try installing this newer one now. Thanks for the suggestion!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me know how it works out. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 16 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 33 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.