Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cleaning up used laptop

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ron,

I copied and pasted the script into notepad, named it test.vbs and double clicked the desktop icon an received the following:

Windows Script Host

Script---C:\Users\anette\Desktop\Test.vbs
Line:----18
Char:----17
Error----Access Denied
Code-----80041003
Source:--SWbemObjectEx

Now here's something that I can't figure out! Look at the time when the log was created. Then look at the time when the Error occurred. It hasn't occurred yet!! I also noticed the differences in time in the System Log I posted above for the first 2 entries. Is that normal???

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows Vista in English
Report run at 06/05/2011 7:53:12 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Error Type
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 07/05/2011 12:46:49 AM
Type: Error Category: 3
Event: 215 Source: ESENT
WinMail (3524) WindowsMail0: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 07/05/2011 12:42:47 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 07/05/2011 12:41:08 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Donna

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,331 posts
  • MVP
Oddly enough tho you can't double click on the file cbs.log to open it in notepad you can open the whole log in notepad if you start notepad first then point it at the log. Tends to be a bit big tho.

VEW just looks at the logs. It doesn't change anything so you can run it as often as you want. Lot faster than looking at the event logs directly.

I figure the Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI error is from a poorly written program but WMI is just monitoring software so if you can't fix it I don't think it will hurt anything.

Ron

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,331 posts
  • MVP
I think the time may be UTC - uncorrected for your time zone. Does it make sense if you subtract the number of hours you are from GMT?

Ron

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yes it would. I am 4 hours difference from GMT! I never thought of that. I'll pass that along to another fella here that was helping me to learn how to read the Event Viewer logs a short time ago and we came across that exact same issue.

VEW just looks at the logs. It doesn't change anything so you can run it as often as you want. Lot faster than looking at the event logs directly.

That's what I thought but I had to know for sure. I'll not worry about the Error at this time.

After work today I'll have to run a diagnostics test on the HD. Every time that I boot up you can hear it struggle to read the HD. Not good.

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 07 May 2011 - 05:42 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Ron,

Found that this laptop has a Seagate HD though I couldn't find a diagnostics test for it at the manufactures site, I installed HD Tune and the HD is fine. Not sure why it makes a scratchy sound before booting to the desktop. I'm not going to worry about that though.

If you can think of anything else that needs to be done please let me know. If not, since there is no infections lurking around I think we're done here. Correct?

I do see a few more things that I'll uninstall such as Label Print, muvee autoProducer 6.1, QuickPlay SlingPlayer 0.4.6 and the NetWaiting software and also Defraggler. I like Auslogics Defrag much better.

Thank you for your time used to help me here. I really appreciate it!

Donna

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,331 posts
  • MVP
You want Seatools:

http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

for your seagate drive.

Boot into Safe Mode. Do you still get the scratchy sound? If not, while in Safe Mode, Start, Programs, Accessoriesm right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator. Continue. Type with an Enter after the line:

msconfig

Under Startup uncheck everything that doesn't sound like it might have something to do with your audio. Under Services, check the Hide Microsoft Services then uncheck everything else (unless it sounds audio related). Reboot into regular mode. Is the scratchy still there? IF not then one of the programs you unchecked is the cause and you have to go back into msconfig and check a few then reboot until you find the problem.

Could also be it just needs a new audio driver. Check the maker's website.

Ron

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Boot into Safe Mode. Do you still get the scratchy sound?

Yes! I get that scratchy sound as soon as I press the power button and the "noise" continues until the Windows download bar progresses to the password logon screen. Then it disappears.

Did as you suggested with Startup and Services and the sound is still there as soon as I press the power button.

Thank you for the link to Seatools. I did see the tool when searching the site but was unsure exactly what it was and didn't want to install anything that was unfamiliar to me. The HD did pass the test and the laptop runs great so I'm not going to worry about it at this time. I will get a can of compressed air to blow the dust bunnies away. Who knows that in itself could be an issue. Right?

Thanks Ron! :)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,331 posts
  • MVP
Did I give you this one yet? Useful program for your toolbox anyway.

Get SIW

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/siw.html

Run it and under Hardware look for Sensors. Click on Sensors and look in the right pane there should be some temperature readings. What are they? Watch your video for a little bit then look again. Are the temps going up?

Ron

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Ron,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Very hectic week here.

The Temps did range a difference of 15 degrees or so. The noise is heard only at start up when the read/write arm moves across the platter upon powering up the laptop. Otherwise the laptop runs great!! No shut downs or anything even after having the laptop was on for hours on end. My daughter even played several games on it and no issues though it was a bit warmer than usual due to the amount of time it was turned on. I've come to the conclusion that it is just a noisy HD. What do you think?

:)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,331 posts
  • MVP
What temperatures did you see on the laptop. Are they in C or F? Make sure the laptop is on a hard surface and that nothing is blocking the vents. I've had good luck just using a vacuum cleaner hose to suck the dust out of the vents tho they say you shouldn't do this if the humidity is low. Best to turn off the PC while doing it.

Noisy drives may not be long for this world. Might be a good idea to get another drive (an a USB adapter for an External drive) and clone your drive before it fails.

Ron

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

What temperatures did you see on the laptop. Are they in C or F? Make sure the laptop is on a hard surface and that nothing is blocking the vents.

These are the following temps that I documented. They are in C & F both. I posted only F. The laptop does sit on a hard surface.

At boot up after being shut down all day the temps were as follows:

ACPI
TZS0 112 - 109 - 114
TZS1 112 - 109 - 114

Intel Celeron M 57 - 57 - 57

ST9160827AS:
Assembly 87 - 74 - 87
Air Flow 87 - 74 - 87

After playing a video on youtube the following temps were documented:

ACPI
TZSO 132 - 109 - 132
TZS1 132 - 109 - 132

Intel Celeron M 57 - 57 - 57

ST9160827AS:
Assembly 107 - 76 - 107
Air Flow 107 - 76 - 107

Do they look to be within normal range?

I've had good luck just using a vacuum cleaner hose to suck the dust out of the vents tho they say you shouldn't do this if the humidity is low.

:unsure: I have to confess! :yes: I've done that as well with toothpick in hand to loosen the dust bunnies from the tedious little crevices but I didn't know about the low humidity.

Noisy drives may not be long for this world. Might be a good idea to get another drive (an a USB adapter for an External drive) and clone your drive before it fails.

I'll look into pricing one. I've always wanted to learn how to clone a drive. I do have a USB external drive can I use a 4GB flash for cloning a drive? It's new. Nothing on it yet. Was going to use it for my personal data because the external was shared between myself and husband and likes to reformat things without telling me first. :)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,331 posts
  • MVP
OTL says you have:
Drive C: | 139.71 Gb Total Space | 95.58 Gb Free Space | 68.42% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 9.34 Gb Total Space | 1.64 Gb Free Space | 17.57% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

I assume this is a single drive with a hidden partition so probably a 160G total so your 4G USB drive is not big enough. What you normally do is get a USB adapter for the type of drive you have. IDE or SATA. In your case it's a SATA based on the part number reported by aswMBR and it is 160G. You would need a USB/SATA adapter something like:

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_e_text_c

then a new 2.5 inch SATA drive at least 160 or larger.
Something like this would work nicely:
http://www.amazon.co...05679377&sr=1-1

This would triple your current drive capacity.

You plug the new drive into the adapter then the adapter into the USB jack on your laptop and it should recognize it without any software being required. You take your seatools software and run it and it should find your new drive and allow you to clone your old drive to the new. (Make sure you clone the old to the new and not vice versa!) Doesn't have to be a Seagate drive - since you have one in the laptop it should allow you to clone to anything.

Once your cloning is done you shut down the PC, remove the hard drive and install the new one. Don't be discouraged if it looks like they have different connectors. Laptops often have a small adapter plugged onto the hard drive to make it match the motherboard. You just pry (or unscrew) the adapter off the old drive and plug it into the new.

Ron

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Ron,

I do have a USB external drive can I use a 4GB flash for cloning a drive?

I feel so silly here! :unsure: Just shows how much I was paying attention after a 10hr day at work. It is a single 160G HD and D: is the Presario_RP. Hardware is not my forte as you can tell.

If I may ask, the USB adapter that you provided a link to, is that the same as what I've heard to be called a docking station?

Thank you for the links and the instructions. New HD's are not as expensive as I thought they would be. Once I get the extra funds I will purchase the USB adapter and the HD.

This has been a very educating experience for me. Thank you!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,331 posts
  • MVP
A docking station to me is an assembly that you plug your laptop into. Usually it has a bigger monitor, mouse, power supply and network connection. The idea is leave the docking station on your desk at work and just take the laptop with you when you get home. When you come back the next day you plug the laptop into the docking station and you are ready to work in comfort. This is the one I used to have on my desk at work:

http://www.amazon.co...5764143&sr=1-15

But I see they are now making docking stations for hard drives too:
http://www.amazon.co...05764255&sr=8-4

A bit more expensive than what I had in mind but should work too.

Ron

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Ron,

It's been a really busy last few days here. I also had to look around a bit to make sure that I wasn't confusing the Docking Station with something else that I had read awhile back and I believe that I was confusing the Docking Station with the USB Hard Drive Adapter kit.

I did take the back off the laptop and cleaned out the dust bunnies and the noise is not as bad as it was though it still has issues.

At this time I'll need to put the laptop aside so I can get back to my studies. I can't express how grateful I am for your help here.

Thank you Ron!