Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What is the best photo recovery software for deleted photos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Brendan01

Brendan01

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Winutilities deleted files on my laptop while i attempting to optimise my system. Now like 75% of photos have been deleted and i tried to use undelete function to recover them. Whats happning is th photos that were undeleted appear damaged. I hear there is software that recovers photos from the hard drive and was wondering if anyone can help me by pointing out the best way preferrably a good free one

Thanks, i am desperate

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,956 posts
Hi Brendan01,

In the past I have used a program called Recuva by Piriform with success. However, there are many file recovery programs out there.

Just be careful what you are installing, as writing ANYTHING to the hard disk of your computer at this time, could overwrite the file you are wanting to recover, and then it will be lost forever.

Using a second computer to download and install Recuva Portable (click here) to a flash drive, then running it from the flash drive on the host computer seems to be the safest way to get the best success.

In addition, I personally would not recommend using WinUtilities due to the fact that it includes a Registry Cleaner. We advise not to use any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

Other members may have some ideas as well, so stay tuned just in case.

Good Luck!

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 15 June 2011 - 05:00 PM.

niemiro

niemiro

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hello Brendan01!

You could also try http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

If you have the System Restore cache turned on, you may well have very good success with this tool.

The very best of luck!

Richard

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Hi,

In the past I have used Zero Assumption Recovery with a lot of success. The trial allows you to restore four folders.

When needing to recover data from a hard drive it's always a good idea to not install/copy any new data to the drive. Installing software/copying data to the drive may overwrite the data you are trying to recover.

I would recommend installing the recovery software to a USB flash drive or a different hard drive/partition (if you have one).

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
another free program Power Data Recovery

works on Mac too :)

razornaim

razornaim

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi ... dude . i hav a registered copy of Getbackdata (ntfs). wen i run dis , it verifyed n displayed my deleted files. yet m only interested to get my personal photos back . i have saved all de pictures to my hard drive. bt none f dem is opening wit any pic. viewers. y iz so ...???? iz der anyother way 2 get ride f dis probz ???