Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Also need drivers

• Please log in to reply

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello

I'm new here and just lost the first attempt to wrie this.
Like "Doc fixit" I need drivers.
I had an Optorite DVD CD RW DD0401 writer installed in my computer. The technician was never able to get it to work. Using Microsoft Fixit diagnostic program it was diagnosed as Not Windows compatable "incapable of writing a Cd , The drivers were corrupt, The filter drivers were corrupt, It had been disabled by Windows, It did not have an assigned Letter.
I got an exterior DVD CD writer and plugged it in and it works. While i like the idea of having an interior device I also have a question concerning both of them . They both use the same drivers # 5.1.2535.0 from 7-1-2001 supplied by Microsoft

These are in a "SYS computer made by Via Technologies Inc. Model VT8601
I'm using Windows XP Professional with service pack 3
Motherboard is Biostar with Intel ® Pentium ®111 CPU
1133 MHz , 1.13 GHz , 760 MB of RAM

One final question, Is there a way to find and get a Windows "compatable " driver when you don't have the installation disk and Optorite does not have a home page to contact them. All help greatly appreciated.
Thank you
oldfeller82

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
XP, Vista and Win7 don't need a driver to run the drive.
Is the drive seen in My Computer?

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello Rshaffer61

Thanks for the prompt reply, Didn't find the drivers for Optorite DVD RW DD0401 writer in "My Computer"
Also didn't find the Samsung DVD writer Model # SE-S084 which is in drive E.The part that puzzles me is why Samsung will work and Optorite will not with both of them using the same drivers.
Mostly I use my Computer , Printer and DVD/ CD for genealogy and converting music from analog to digital and putting it on CDs and USB portable memory sticks
I use "Blaze audio to convery my old records,78 RPM 45 RPM , & 33 1/3 RPM 8 tracks tapes & Cassette tapes. The last time I tried to use Optorite to burn a CD I got the following error.

EXCeption EAccess Violation in module XPBurn.DLL.dll at 0000C2E5.
Access violation address 00C2E5 in module XPBurnDLL.dll'.
Write to address 445C3A04

Samsung will make A CD using Blaze Audio .In Optorite "properties " it says this device is working properly , If I'm having problems click "troubleshoot.
Going through the steps with Troubleshoot it is determined I may have a problem with Scsi adapter, "Optorite is an IDE drive
I try to uninstall Optorite , But when I startup or reboot Windows reinstalls it, So it's a vicious circle. I'm not that computer savvy and the "technicians" I have run into here in East Tennessee aren't much smarter.
Thanks for any and all help.
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not looking for drivers but in My Computer there should your hard drive(s) and your optical drive(s) showing.

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello

I checked "my computer" The DVD CD writers are both there plus there is now a Hitachi cd writer listed, "No idea where it came from . I haven't downloaded anything except the driver you had on your reply to me . Haven't tried it yet. But when I was trying to use Optorite I got a mess of errors

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted. "This was all I got copied before the computer shut down " ( There was no error message)
Another error message " No media found in the cd writer device.
Please insert a blank writable disk in the cd writer and try again "This error I got with three(3) different blank disk.

When I tried to rip music from an existing CD the computer stopped responding.
With recorded music on cd "my computer" opens, But will not load the programs . But will load them without cd in Optorite writer.
rshaffer61 I really appreciate all you are doing to help me, But when you tire of me let me know. Thank you
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

rshaffer61 I really appreciate all you are doing to help me, But when you tire of me let me know. Thank you
oldfeller82

Me tire? Nah I do this because I like helping others.

I checked "my computer" The DVD CD writers are both there plus there is now a Hitachi cd writer listed, "No idea where it came from

Does it say Hitachi cdrom or Hitachi cd-ram drive?

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello rshaffer61

Sorry about the delay in answering your question about Hitachi
When I turned the computer on a few minutes ago "Hitachi has dissapeared .
I have no idea where to look as I don't know where it came from. Yesterday I found it in "my computer" and n "device manager"Today I can't find it. But it was listed as
DVD-RAM drive E Hitachi HDS 72505oKLAT80 Disk Drives
I tried to answer you last night , But did something wrong and it didn't go through .Appreciate your help and patience.
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

DVD-RAM drive E Hitachi HDS 72505oKLAT80 Disk Drives

From my experience this would indicate a virtual drive usually associated with a software program like Dameon Tools or ISo type program.

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

Thanks for the prompt reply
As I said earlier I'm not very computer savvy and I'm going to do some reading tonight to see if I can check out the help you sent.I wont let these "technicians" around here touch my computer and am studying to try to repair it myself with help of nice people like you. Since most of my problems seem to be coming from /or caused by Optorite DVD /CD writer and it's drivers,I uninstall Optorite every day , But when I startup or reboot Windows reinstalls Optorite and tells me in device manager it's working properly. This is not true. So I have a question .
Is there a way for a dummy like me to keep Windows from reinstalling Optorite without me telling it to?
Thank you
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is a actual optical drive in your system then the only way to stop it is to disconnect it.
Do you know how to do this or would you like me to instruct you on how to do it? :)

Advertisements

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello

If you don't mind and it's not to much trouble would you please send the instructions for disconnecting the Optorite DVD / CD writer I wont have a chance to do it until Sunday. As I tried to say last night , I'm the care giver for my Wife of 63 years and wont have a chance until then .
Thank you
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem.
I'm taking it is a desktop so the steps should be easy.
I am going to try and cheat a little by having you look at this site HERE.
Not a bad tutorial on how to disconnect and replace a cdrom drive. Might be helpful also if you need to replace it. :)

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks RShaffer61

I will let you know Sunday how I make out with the disconnecting the Dvd Thanksoldfeller82

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

I got the Optorite DVD CD writer removed from my computer.
Have been hooked up and running for about two hours with no fires, explosions, or Bsods.
II did get the instructions printed , But could not download any of the other material pertaining to "Beginners". Am going to try again to see if removing the bad Dvd CD writer helps .If Robert sees this message I would like to know more about his book for beginners.
Don't know if this is permitted or not , But I hope the water wasn't in your neighborhood. Thank you so much for the help.
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Who is Robert? :unsure: :)

Don't know if this is permitted or not , But I hope the water wasn't in your neighborhood. Thank you so much for the help.

Nope we missed it by about a mile from the west of us. About 2 miles from the north of us. And less then a mile to the south of us.
:)
Thank you for your post. :yes: