Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Also need drivers

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is what you want HERE
Not saying from this online company but this is what you need to find.
Get two of them for a total of 1 gig of memory.
This would help your system performance and speed a lot.

Advertisements

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

Sorry for long delay, Had other problems. Every things fine now.
Have ordered the Memory parts and will put them on as soon as possible.
With the computer I do need some more information.
As I have said before I'm trying to learn how to repair my own computer, Not professionally , I'm in my 80s and have other problems to take care of.
But in Studying and even reading your replys to my questions , A lot of the words and terms I don't know what is being said.
DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY A COMPUTER TERMINOLOGY DICTIONARY?
Would really appreciate it .
Thanks for your help and patience.
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I started with the Dummies books many years ago and found them to be great for someone who is just starting out.
You can buy them from any book store.
Start by taking a look at this link HERE

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

Well it took a while but I finally got the SDRAM two (2) 512 MB.
Ran a diagnostic check and there is no longer low RAM.
It's still operating slow , But after all it's almost 14 years old.
I have some other things I want to do , But right now I'm going to be disposed for a few weeks. Dr said maybe no more than two (2) weeks.
Want to thank you and "Geekstogo" for all your help and espically your patience with me.
Will contact you when I get back home.
Thanks again old Buddy.
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and see you when you return. :)

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

Temporarily I'm back. Hasn't been a very pleasant two (2) weeks but hopefully helpful.
Had one (1) setback, Just after catarac surgery they think I had a heart attack.
If I did heart attacks aren't that bad I didn't feel any pain just the EKG showed an attack.Anyway I survived.
But unfortunately don't know if my computer did or not.I am getting all kinds of bad news from it.I'm trying to copy & paste VEWVino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English
Report run at 29/07/2011 2:01:52 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - warning Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 25/07/2011 10:27:11 PM
Type: warning Category: 0
Event: 1517 Source: Userenv
Windows saved user USER\computer registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

'System' Log - warning Type
No 'System' log warning events found from 25/07/2011 to 29/07/2011

Well whattya know it worked. In addition to that report I am getting the following error message when shutting down the computer. Have only been home to shut it down twice and got this message both times, Can you advise me?

"the instruction at" 0X774FDFDF" Referenced memory at "0X00000000" The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program.

In another error message in VEW it said Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows XP in English
Report run at 29/07/2011 2:42:06 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

'Application' Log - error Type
No 'Application' log error events found from 25/07/2011 to 29/07/2011

'System' Log - error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 28/07/2011 7:40:41 AM
Type: error Category: 6
Event: 16 Source: Windows Update Agent
Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/07/2011 5:54:51 PM
Type: error Category: 0
Event: 7 Source: Disk
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/07/2011 10:58:39 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/07/2011 10:58:35 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/07/2011 10:58:31 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 25/07/2011 10:58:27 AM

I attached this VEW report to . With the bad block in harddisko\d
Should I go ahead and replace the hard drive? I was reading a month or so ago about sliding these bad spots , I don't remember all of it and don't now if I could do it or not
I know this is to long , But I don't have a lot of time to get whatever I'm going to do done.
Thanks for the help and patience
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First of all I'm sorry for the health issues and please take care of yourself first and foremost. :)

I attached this VEW report to . With the bad block in harddisko\d
Should I go ahead and replace the hard drive? I was reading a month or so ago about sliding these bad spots , I don't remember all of it and don't now if I could do it or not
I know this is to long , But I don't have a lot of time to get whatever I'm going to do done.
Thanks for the help and patience
oldfeller82

I would say this is indeed a indication of a failing hd and yes I would suggest replacement. Is there data you need to save and if so please backup that now before anything else.
Next do you know if your system has SATA available for hard drives? Replacement of the old IDE style drive is expensive and for a larger capacity in SATA is much less expensive.
HERE is a example of a 1tb SATA drive

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
HelloRShaffer61

Thanks for the prompt reply. I tried to check what my hard drive was but did not find out whether it was SATA or IDE I checked device manager, All I found out there was that it's Hitachi HDS725050KLAT90. Is there another way to find this info?
Another question, My computer is almost 14 years old, Should I be replacing the Motherboard and Processor? Motherboard is Biostar M6VLR CPU is Intel Pentium 111.
In looking at the Motherboard diagram I don't see any SATA terminals I do see IDE.

I have been searching for a dictionary that converts computer words and letters as a lot of the time I don't know what is being said. "Example" In Vino's event viewer I am told to try configuring the services to run in either the local service or networkservice account. I don't have the slightest idea what that means, I have three(3)text books I'm studying and none of them tell me how to do this. Do you know if there is such a dictionary as I'm looking for?
Thanks for the help and listening to me jabber.
old feller82

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

Quick note .

My hard drive is an IDE Hitachi HDS725050KLAT80.

Thanks
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is going to be what I just found also. That means the SATA drive will not work then.
Being 14 years old what do think about rebuilding into something newer?
If you are for it what kind of budget would you have for the following?
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • Memory
  • HD
  • Possible new OS like Win7
  • May need to replace PSU also

At this point the only thing original from your present system would be the optical drive and the case.
How do you feel about building it yourself if I can produce a tutorial to walk through the steps? :)

Advertisements

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

what you say about rebuilding to something newer sounds great.
But that will have to wait until I find out how much my latest medical venture is going to set me back. Don't know how much the insurance is going to cover.
But keep the rebuild thought in mind , I like it.I have a DVD by Scott Mueller that is good at showing you how to rebuild/upgrade a computer.I also have installation disks for Windows XP Home edition and XP Professional. I also ask Tiger Direct to send me a catalog.
Now if I could only find the dictionary so I would know what you guys are talking about.
I bought a new computer "Black Friday" of last year. It was a Compaq 5600 with Windows home premium on it. I hated it so bad I gave it away and paid the shipping to ship it to them.HP puts to much useless junk in their products. I would buy a new computer if I could find one with Windows XP on it. This time it will be "Emachine or something like that.
I'll get with you when I get y medical bills so I know how much I have to pay,
Set up the tutorals and if I can Ill download and study them.
Thanks
oldfeller82
I also had Comcast and the went HD with xfinity which I didn't like

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial is located HERE and was created by one of our own Tech staff members Troy.
One of the best I have seen in the last 10 years for instructions and pictures to help you along the way.
As far as the new system we will have to be careful as not everything new is supported by XP.
Before we decide on each component I will need to check and make sure there are XP drivers for it. :)
Just let me know when you are ready and I will be happy to assist you.

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

I downloaded the "How to build your own computer from Troy"
Except for the videos , In the almost 14 years I've had this computer I have never seen a video on it . I always get the error "Javascript void"
I will get back to you soon , Depends on how fast the billing dept. is.
Thanks
oldfeller82

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Interesting I suspect a java issue then with that and the first thing I would suggest is clearing all java versions and installing only the newest one. You can do this by following the next instructions.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...ft&words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

Also can you tell me what browser and version you are using?

oldfeller82

oldfeller82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hello RShaffer61

As you instructed I uninstalled aoo previous versions of "Java" and installed the latest version. When I verified the installation I was successful.
It took quite a while to download and install with "dialup", So right now I'm out of time and will try it tonight.
You ask what browser I was using, I am using Mozilla Firefox version 3.6.18
With MSN as my homepage
Thanks for the help.Will let you know the results tonight.
oldfeller82